FORUMS: list search recent posts

ProRes .mov to DVD

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Maria-Luisa Meredith
ProRes .mov to DVD
on Jun 24, 2012 at 4:55:27 pm

Hi

I have an HDV sequence which I've exported using the ProRes codec. As a .mov on my mac it looks amazing!

Now how do I replicate that high quality when I burn it to DVD for display on a big screen at an event?

I've tried a couple of Compressor / DVDSP workflows but the burned DVDs won't play on my domestic DVD deck (and if it won't play on mine it may not play on the clients).

Thanks for any suggestions.

Maria

Macbook Pro / OSX 10.6.4 / 2.4GHz Intel Core i5 / 4GB 1067 MHz DDR3

FCP Studio 7.0.2

Return to posts index

Jessica Muth
Re: ProRes .mov to DVD
on Jun 24, 2012 at 7:57:21 pm

I would assume you outputted your ProRes .mov as separate .m2v and .ac3 files? Then made it as a timeline in DVD Studio Pro and made the timeline as your first play? Set it for the necessary region?

Just assuming.

Jessica Muth
Production Operations Manager
Video Labs
Rockville, MD
301-217-0000
jmuth@videolabs.net

Return to posts index

Maria-Luisa Meredith
on Jun 24, 2012 at 8:50:39 pm

Yes, that's right. ProRes .mov from FCP into Compressor. .m2v and .ac3 files out of Compressor into DVDSP. But none of the DVD formats or burns have worked. Thanks.

FCP Studio 7.0.2

Return to posts index

Greg Ball
on Jun 24, 2012 at 9:05:22 pm

Are you sure you're not using HD DVD Settings? What settings are you using in both Compressor and DVDSP?

Return to posts index

Maria-Luisa Meredith
on Jun 24, 2012 at 9:18:12 pm

Hi

I followed this work flow:

http://www.kenstone.net/fcp_homepage/hdv_timeline_to_sd_dvd.html

then a basic DVD setting out of DVDSP.

Maria

FCP Studio 7.0.2

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Jun 24, 2012 at 9:21:27 pm

If you burn it to DVD you will be loosing a lot of quality. DVD is standard def. Why not bring it to viewing in digital form? A computer can be interfaced with a projector as easily as a dvd player. Just export as a self-contained QT. If you really want to burn a SD dvd I can provide you with links on how to do that.

MacPro4,1 2.66GHz 8 core 12gigs of ram. GPU: Nvidia Geoforce GT120 with Vram 512. OS X 10.6.x; Camcorders: Panasonic AG-HPX170, Sony Z7U, Canon HV30/40, Sony vx2000/PD170; FCP 6 certified; write professionally for a variety of media; teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

Maria-Luisa Meredith
on Jun 24, 2012 at 9:30:05 pm

Hi

Thanks for your reply, my client has asked for both a playable DVD and a.mov file (although ideally they'd like that as H264) so that's what I need to supply.

If you can let me know your suggested SD DVD process that would be appreciated.

Many thanks again.

FCP Studio 7.0.2

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Jun 24, 2012 at 11:32:26 pm

I see used the same article you did when exporting projects from FCP 7 to compressor. However, I do it a little differently. I highlight the entire time line and then in sequence setting I choose apple pro res 422. I do this early on and edit in pro res. Then I export from there as a self contained QT file. Follow the steps in compressor.
Then I use this for DVD SP:
http://www.kenstone.net/fcp_homepage/autoplay_in_dvdsp_stone.html.

You might be doing all this. Sometimes DVDs are duds and don't play well on other players. Make sure you are using high quality blanks. I have no idea why anyone would want to play an HD project in SD. DVDs also load slower during a showing so I don't get it.

If this fails you might want to take your project and burn the DVD on a different computer.

MacPro4,1 2.66GHz 8 core 12gigs of ram. GPU: Nvidia Geoforce GT120 with Vram 512. OS X 10.6.x; Camcorders: Panasonic AG-HPX170, Sony Z7U, Canon HV30/40, Sony vx2000/PD170; FCP 6 certified; write professionally for a variety of media; teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

Maria-Luisa Meredith
on Jun 25, 2012 at 8:22:00 am

Hi

I'm using good quality DVDs(Verbatim, have used them for years with no trouble) so I don't think that is the issue.

I read in another post that if you inadvertently create an HD project in DVDSP (it was the default) then you need to start from scratch...start from scratch out of FCP or out of Compressor though?

Thanks for your help with this.

M

FCP Studio 7.0.2

Return to posts index

Maria-Luisa Meredith
on Jun 25, 2012 at 9:03:25 am

I finally have a playable DVD, I figure I was missing the 'Apply' step when changing my DVDSP settings!

The DVD is about 160MB in size, the original ProRes QT was 2.3GB, is that the best I'll get? Surely there's room for less compression on the DVD, my sequence is only 3 mins.

M

FCP Studio 7.0.2

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Jun 25, 2012 at 4:36:17 pm

Interesting that the one that did not "apply" still played back on the Mac. I read a number of years ago how to burn a HD DVD on a SD DVD that would play back on Macs but not elsewhere.

http://www.kenstone.net/fcp_homepage/hd_dvds_on_sd_dvds_young.html

As far as improving on the "best quality" setting: I don't know. There are folks who make a living as compressionists But the whole thing is crazy. When BLU RAY won the war with HD DVD as the standard for HD DVDs we all lost. Apple wouldn't go for it due to the excessive fees being asked for Blu Ray production (and they are high) and we were left without a replacement for SD DVDs. But it is very easy to play back HD files directly from a computer or video recorder and ridiculous to watch this stuff on SD DVDs.

But try this: http://forums.creativecow.net/appledvdstudiopro

And if you do improve on your best quality settings please update here -- would be interested to know. SD DVDs well mastered do look better but seems like a lot of time consuming work for something that is still SD no matter what you do.

Return to posts index

Maria-Luisa Meredith
on Jun 26, 2012 at 2:45:21 pm

Hi

You're right, it seems odd that there's no proper (non-BluRay) support for HD as it's almost the standard now (industry and domestic).

Thanks alot for your thoughts and I'll be sure to post if I find a way to get better DVD compression.

M

FCP Studio 7.0.2

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]