FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCP 7 Media disconnecting/reconnecting muddle

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dominic Reynolds
FCP 7 Media disconnecting/reconnecting muddle
on Jun 23, 2012 at 11:10:48 pm

Hello - really hope someone can guide me with this. Apologies for length.

I'm editing a project on FCP 7 with with about 200 source video files. Apparently random selections of these files are going offline repeatedly - sometimes a few at a time, sometimes more and more even as I'm editing. However many times I reconnect them, some will always go back offline.

I suspect the problem is down to a combination of how I ingested/labelled the files and how I've backed them up - perhaps if I explain the process I went through, it will be clearest.

When ingesting the material with Log and Transfer, a handful of clips wouldn't transfer as they were too big, so I marked individual in and out points within the longer clips and transferred them in two or three smaller parts. I called these for example 'Clip #54', 'Clip #54.1', 'Clip #54.2'. Although because of the sequential numbering system, I think FCP sees them as new clips #201, #202, etc.

As the footage was from a card which had to be wiped and returned to its owner, I backed up the footage by copying the entire folder from the external harddrive I was using to a backup folder on my desktop.

After a few hours editing, the offline problems started occurring, but when I tried to reconnect the media in bulk as normal, it couldn't see the clips - even when I unchecked 'match name a reel only'. I suspected it could be a result of there being two folders of the same footage in two locations, so I renamed every clip in the backup folder on my desktop from eg 'Clip #1' to 'BACKUP Clip #1'. When I subsequently tried to reconnect, the only thing which seemed to work was to reconnect each clip individually. Sometimes reconnecting to the original would work, sometimes only reconnecting to the backup version would work, sometimes neither would work. And often the dialogue box popped up saying the media start and end points are different and advises not to try and reconnect.

I'm now in a situation where I can't progress with the edit as too many clips are persistently offline, but I've spent too many days on the edit to scrap it and start again.

To be clear - I have a complete set of the raw footage (two sets in fact) but I can't work out how to make FCP reconnect it all properly.

I'd be really appreciative if anyone can help me untangle this one.
Thanks for reading
Dom

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]