FORUMS: list search recent posts

USB 2.0 to eSATA adapter?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Preston Orrick
USB 2.0 to eSATA adapter?
on Jun 23, 2012 at 11:02:24 pm

I've seen that USB 2.0 to eSATA adapters exist, but does it greatly affect the speed of, let's say, an external hard drive connected to a desktop this way? Or is it better to just get the actual card on the motherboard itself?

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: USB 2.0 to eSATA adapter?
on Jun 23, 2012 at 11:20:07 pm

[Preston Orrick] "does it greatly affect the speed of, let's say, an external hard drive connected to a desktop this way?"

Yes. USB2 is a LOT slower than eSATA. And it sends data in packets, not the constant steady stream that eSATA has.

[Preston Orrick] "Or is it better to just get the actual card on the motherboard itself?"

Yeah...MUCH better.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Andrew Rendell
on Jun 24, 2012 at 7:48:00 am

The overall speed of the system is always limited by the speed of the slowest part of the chain. So even if you have an adapter to connect an esata drive to a USB2 connection, the speed that the data gets from drive to computer can't go any faster than the USB2 part of the path.

[EDIT: Aah, didn't look properly, I'm just saying the same thing as Shane really...]

Return to posts index

Jerry Hofmann
on Jun 25, 2012 at 4:49:16 pm

To add to this discussion, the only reason those adapters exist is so you could connect an eSATA only drive to a USB port... just for a data transfer...

Jerry

Apple Certified Trainer, Producer, Writer, Director Editor, Gun for Hire and other things. I ski. My Blog: http://blogs.creativecow.net/Jerry-Hofmann

Current DVD:
http://store.creativecow.net/p/81/jerry_hofmanns_final_cut_system_setup

8-Core 3.0 Intel Mac Pro, Dual 2 gig G5, AJA Kona SD, AJA Kona 2, Huge Systems Array UL3D, AJA Io HD, 17" MBP, Matrox MXO2 with MAX - Cinema Displays I have a 22" that I paid 4k for still working. G4 with Kona SD card, and SCSI card.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]