FORUMS: list search recent posts

Editing setup?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Preston Orrick
Editing setup?
on Jun 22, 2012 at 9:02:09 pm

In the past, I have edited using a Macbook Pro with Final Cut Pro v. 6.0.6. I have been using a USB 2.0 500GB external hard drive for editing and storing my video files. Final Cut runs off my internal in my Macbook Pro. It's always been slow editing, each time I press play or scrub through the video, it lags and is very annoying.

I am wondering what would be the best setup to edit quickly? I guess I could use my external as a backup drive, but I edit 1920x1080 AVCHD video now, so the files are way too big to keep on my internal. I also have a 250GB external, so that could be used as well. I've read about setting up RAID's and using external firewire hard drives, but that's pretty costly. I want to be able to scrub through video and edit without any lag time. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Return to posts index

Scott Sheriff
Re: Editing setup?
on Jun 22, 2012 at 9:42:12 pm

Hi,
As you have read, your MBP set-up is insufficient. Despite a lot of hype by laptop fans, they are very much a compromise. That is why apple allows two installations (one desktop and a laptop) per FCS license.
There is an old racing expression that applies here.
Speeds expensive. How fast do you want to go?
There is no magic setting that will make a USB drive work.
It doesn't matter what size your files are. Your system drive is not the place to store your capture files. You need at least a second or more drives.
If you want desktop-like performance, you need to get a RAID or at least a FW external drive. If you don't need portability, the best performance with the least hassle, and the ability to expand and use nice things like capture cards, a desktop with multiple drives is the way to go.

Scott Sheriff
Director
http://www.sstdigitalmedia.com

"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." ---Red Adair

Where were you on 6/21?

Return to posts index

Preston Orrick
on Jun 22, 2012 at 10:28:34 pm

Well, I plan on using my Quad-Core desktop for editing on Premiere CS5 very soon. How about storing my project on my computer or on my USB external, and using a Firewire external hard drive like the G-drive Mini for capturing audio/video and for storing my video files, graphics, audio, etc, basically my scratch disk?

Return to posts index

Scott Sheriff
on Jun 23, 2012 at 1:18:24 am

USB delivers information in bursts, so anything like video is going to be sluggish or not work at all. FW is a better choice for a scratch disc.
It doesn't influence the response of the timeline where the project is stored. Where the renders, waveform and source is stored, yes.
If it were me, I'd use the quad, not the laptop. You could load it up with 4 drives and do a software RAID. Even having the system, scratch and render files split across non-RAID divers should beat the FW ext drive.

Scott Sheriff
Director

"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." ---Red Adair

Where were you on 6/21?

Return to posts index

Chris Tompkins
on Jun 23, 2012 at 6:01:08 pm

You cant edit off a USB drive as you have found.

Chris Tompkins
Video Atlanta LLC

Return to posts index

Preston Orrick
on Jun 23, 2012 at 7:57:15 pm

True. I think what I'm going to do is just use a G Drive 1TB and just use the firewire on my laptop and desktop for my project files and capture drive. I will use internal drives for running my programs. I'm not into the whole RAID setup yet and don't think I really need it. I think I'm going to use my two other externals as backups to the G drive.

Return to posts index

Preston Orrick
on Jun 24, 2012 at 12:04:24 am

Also, any recommendations for a good 1TB external hard drive with 7200rpm, USB 2.0, FW800 and SATA or eSATA ports? I'm hoping to use this drive for projects on Windows and Mac, and I know there's workarounds if you have the drive formatted a certain way (like using MacDrive.) Thanks!

Return to posts index

Jerry Hofmann
on Jun 25, 2012 at 4:55:43 pm

CalDigit makes some compelling drives... look there for sure.

That USB drive is great for a backup drive but that's about it.

You need to also understand that if you formatted a FW drive to be Mac OS extended, it will be fast on a Mac, but not on a PC. The alternative is to make if PC formatted, but that will slow it down on the Mac. Either way a sort of emulation has to happen to be cross platform... so pick your poison.

There's more to scrubbing than just drive speeds. GPU's matter too. Especially with the more modern software. (FCP 7 NOT particularly affected, but is to some extent). All other NLE's (Avid, Adobe, Apple, and Autodesk) all rely on GPU power for a lot of their fluid behavior to be really fluid.

Jerry

Apple Certified Trainer, Producer, Writer, Director Editor, Gun for Hire and other things. I ski. My Blog: http://blogs.creativecow.net/Jerry-Hofmann

Current DVD:
http://store.creativecow.net/p/81/jerry_hofmanns_final_cut_system_setup

8-Core 3.0 Intel Mac Pro, Dual 2 gig G5, AJA Kona SD, AJA Kona 2, Huge Systems Array UL3D, AJA Io HD, 17" MBP, Matrox MXO2 with MAX - Cinema Displays I have a 22" that I paid 4k for still working. G4 with Kona SD card, and SCSI card.

Return to posts index

Preston Orrick
on Jun 25, 2012 at 6:24:16 pm

I've read some good things about the GDrive. It sounds like it might work just fine to edit straight to that using firewire or eSATA and use it as a capture device as well as a place to store my project files. I already have a 1TB external for backup, and I don't have the need for a RAID just yet. I think my quad-core PC will fare better whilst editing than my dual-core Macbook Pro. I also have a 500GB 7200rpm internal drive on my desktop.

Return to posts index

Scott Sheriff
on Jun 25, 2012 at 7:47:00 pm

[Jerry Hofmann] "There's more to scrubbing than just drive speeds. GPU's matter too"

Good point about the GPU.

Scott Sheriff
Director

Where were you on 6/21?

Return to posts index

Preston Orrick
on Jun 25, 2012 at 8:04:14 pm

I might just end up getting an internal drive to accompany the one I have now, and transition over to Premiere. Final Cut seems to have taken a dive since FCX.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]