FORUMS: list search recent posts

NTSC HDV footage to PAL in Final Cut Pro

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Stephen Vilas
NTSC HDV footage to PAL in Final Cut Pro
on Jun 22, 2012 at 4:52:15 pm

A second unit crew has shot some footage in South-Korea on an NTSC camera (HDV 1440 x 1080, 30fps). South-Korea is NTSC country, it had to go fast and we didn't have the option to shoot in PAL.

the tapes were sent to us and we have imported the footage in Final Cut by using 'log in capture' through a Sony HDV camera - PAL model.
we now have 1440 x 1080 25fps footage in Apple Pro Res codec.

however, we have a flicker on the converted footage which seems to be very similar to what happens when you shoot with a PAL camera (50hz) in NTSC country. normally we solve this in camera by switching the shutter to 60Hz, but in this case that's not possible anymore.

or is this an entirely different issue?
we'd like to remove or at least reduce the flicker in the footage, so any help would be much appreciated.

thanks in advance!

Return to posts index

Jessica Muth
Re: NTSC HDV footage to PAL in Final Cut Pro
on Jun 22, 2012 at 5:45:17 pm

Everyone, correct me if I am wrong, but I would think that flicker is there because you are converting the NTSC footage to PAL and trying to playback NTSC footage in PAL. I'm not sure though. What I would do, honestly, edit everything at NTSC (native) and send your final file to someone who can do a hardware standards conversion to make it PAL. Better frame rate conversion then and would eliminate the flickering.

Or my advice could be totally off.

Jessica Muth
Production Operations Manager
Video Labs
Rockville, MD
301-217-0000
jmuth@videolabs.net

Return to posts index

Stephen Vilas
on Jun 22, 2012 at 5:53:01 pm

thanks for your reply, Jessica.
problem is, we don't have an NTSC camera to capture this.
the Sony HDV camera plays at 25fps, so when we capture the footage with an NTSC preset, we still end up with badly captured footage.

we've converted ntsc footage before with Compressor and those results were quite satisfactory.

but in this case, I'm just not sure what the issue might be, nor the solution

Return to posts index

Juan Manuel
on Jun 22, 2012 at 8:13:28 pm

If I got it right, your captured file is badly transcoded. You'll need to capture it again with an NTSC camera/vtr. Once captured in ntsc, you can convert it with compressor.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]