FORUMS: list search recent posts

P2 Log and Transfer Question

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
carlton hathcoat
P2 Log and Transfer Question
on Jun 22, 2012 at 4:37:39 pm

Hello,

We shot footage on a Panasonic 2000 P2 cam and shot footage at 1080i 60 DVC PRO HD. In Log and Transfer the footage says it's 29.97. Can someone explain this? it should be 59.94, right? Also, when I log and transfer the footage, I use preferences and set the target format to Apple ProRes 422 HQ, but the files are compressed to DVCPRO HD 1080i60 and still 29.97 for vid rate. Shouldn't codec be Apple Pro Res?
I truly appreciate any explanation of this.

Thanks,

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: P2 Log and Transfer Question
on Jun 22, 2012 at 5:09:54 pm

1080i60 means FIELDS per second. 2 interlaced fields per frame...and that makes 30fps, running at 29.97. Only 720p60 is 60fps. Well, there is ONE camera that shoots 1080p60 at 60fps, but that is a very non-standard format. Your camera shoots 1080i 29.97.

And if you shoot DVCPRO HD, you can only import as DVCPRO HD. You cannot transcode to ProRes. Only AVCIntra P2 comes in as ProRes. Notice in the L&T prefs that it says P2 then AVCIntra. You shot 1080i 29.97 DVCPRO HD, and all FCP does is re-wrap the MXF files to Quicktime...so you end up with QT DVCPRO HD 1080i 29.97 files.

Now...to beat you to this punch. DVCPRO HD at 1080 isn't full raster 1920x1080. No, it is thin raster (anamorphic) at 1280x1080. FCP stretches it out to fill the frame.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

carlton hathcoat
on Jun 22, 2012 at 6:20:20 pm

Well, that certainly explains it. Thanks Shane. I was confused because our show time line is DVCPRO HD 1080i60 and the editing time base is 59.94 and what I thought was 60 frames per second, but I guess now I understand it is 60 fields per second? Does your DVD on work flow go over this stuff too? I will definitely be getting that

Thank you again.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Jun 22, 2012 at 6:27:04 pm

Yeah, it is TOTALLY confusing to call it 1080i60. Made up by the television engineers without much thought to what it looks like. "i" is interlaced, so the number following is FIELDS...so half that for the frame rate. "p" is progressive, so the number following it is truly frames.

[carlton hathcoat] "Does your DVD on work flow go over this stuff too? I will definitely be getting that"

Not really, no. It went into how to organize a project. But I'm sorry to say that it is no longer available. It isn't current (doesn't work for the current version of FCP)...and we sold out of the units. Not going to make more for an NLE that will be phased out before too long.

Sorry.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]