FORUMS: list search recent posts

foreign language editing workflow: shortcuts for translations to subtitles - FCP 7

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Gedi Grudzinskas
foreign language editing workflow: shortcuts for translations to subtitles - FCP 7
on Jun 22, 2012 at 12:30:40 pm

Hi guys,

Please bear with me on this question.

I'm looking for a shortcut, a magic bullet as it were for a colleague and I who are in the middle of a foreign documentary edit.

We have a project set up in FCP 7, proxy files, all bins nicely organised, interviews labelled.

We do not have word for word translations yet, the interviews are in Spanish, my colleague is Portugese. So at this point we are working from notes, making some markers on the interviews, mostly just marking the start of the question and then a summary of the answer, with further markers for key points during answers.

We are waiting for the translations, but we will not have timecode references with the translation.

1) is there a piece of software that I could use to assist in getting text translations and matching it up with interview clips, placing it roughly in sync (I would imagine with some tweaking) I ask this because another colleague of ours said he had done something similar on AVID, but we are in FCP 7.

2) If there is not such a magic bullet, how would you implement an edit workflow with this given setup? I would prefer not having to manually enter timecode info for ALL the translation text to make subtitles BEFORE the edit, as obviously we are trying to save some time. We are thinking paper edit with the translations, eliminate what we can and then subtitle the key clips. Also we have the markers with loose translation already, so that would help I hope (although we may be doing work twice which is quite frustrating).

I do understand that the answer may be, "just put the hours in..." but any time saving solutions would be helpful.

Many thanks for your time, I hope you can help.

Gedi

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]