FORUMS: list search recent posts

Losing saturation when exporting from Final Cut Pro 7 to Quicktime X

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Allison Kerby
Losing saturation when exporting from Final Cut Pro 7 to Quicktime X
on Jun 21, 2012 at 11:56:39 pm

I'm editing h.264 footage in an apple pro res 422 sequence in Final Cut pro 7. I'm using the 422 sequence because it's compatible with Color 1.5.
I've round tripped the sequence from FCP to Color and back, and now I'm exporting as a quicktime movie.

I'm noticing that I'm losing saturation (mostly in skin tones) in the exported .mov. (this is a normal workflow for me, and I've been noticing this issue on more than just this one sequence, though sometimes worse than others).

I know there's been some talk that quicktime x will only let you export in an RGB colorspace, and I've read that downloading quicktime 7 can help with getting some of the setting controls back in order to export YUV, and avoid clamping (though I'm still not sure how to access these controls once it's installed), but I'm still having trouble knowing how to retain my color.

Any suggestions would be helpful.

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
Re: Losing saturation when exporting from Final Cut Pro 7 to Quicktime X
on Jun 22, 2012 at 8:49:05 am

[Allison Kerby] "I'm noticing that I'm losing saturation (mostly in skin tones) in the exported .mov"
Probably was you are seen is a gamma shift. thinks looks washed out.

[Allison Kerby] "I know there's been some talk that quicktime x will only let you export in an RGB colorspace,"
FCPX renders in 32b RGB but in fact all the export options are YUV: Prores HQ, 422 and LT, and H264 are YUV codecs.

[Allison Kerby] "I know there's been some talk that quicktime x will only let you export in an RGB colorspace, and I've read that downloading quicktime 7 can help with getting some of the setting controls back in order to export YUV, and avoid clamping (though I'm still not sure how to access these controls once it's installed), but I'm still having trouble knowing how to retain my color"
No controls to access, just install it. You need QT.7 beside QTX.
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]