FORUMS: list search recent posts

SONY F3 FCP workflow - also combining with Canon 5D footage - seen mixed messages out there

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
jesse mendelson
SONY F3 FCP workflow - also combining with Canon 5D footage - seen mixed messages out there
on Jun 21, 2012 at 6:46:22 pm

Hi all (cross posted in sony forum too),

thanks in advance for advice. I've seen a lot of differing opinions out there so I'm trying to figure out the best way to go.

I'm going to be editing a :30 for broadcast in FCP7. Footage was just handed to me. It was shot 23.98 and I will edit at that rate and convert at the end.

They shot on two camera's - A camera was a SONY F3 / B camera was a CANON 5D. I'm going to transfer the footage to a Thunderbolt drive and edit off of that on a new-ish IMAC.

My main question is trying to confirm what i should convert/import/transcode the Sony footage to, so that I don't lose any quality and so that it will work seamlessly in FCP.

Once that is decided I will also need to figure out what to transcode my 5D material to and what my FCP sequence settings should be.

Would like advice on all! Obviously it's too late for kipro, but I've read on one hand that converting my xdcam ex footage now to prores will not be the same as "transcoding". by the same token i've read that xdcam ex is still a super compressed format and i can't imagine wanting to convert the 5D footage to that, but i'd prefer not to edit mixed medias if i can avoid it...

thoughts MUCH appreciated! Thx in advance!

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: SONY F3 FCP workflow - also combining with Canon 5D footage - seen mixed messages out there
on Jun 21, 2012 at 6:59:41 pm

Convert both formats to ProRes 422. It's that simple.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

jesse mendelson
Re: SONY F3 FCP workflow - also combining with Canon 5D footage - seen mixed messages out there
on Jun 21, 2012 at 7:06:50 pm

at what stage would i convert the sony footage though? from the original camera mp4s? or import them via xdcam transfer and then convert the xdcam ex mp2's?

also, i thought i read someone saying you can't transcode xdcam footage?

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Jun 21, 2012 at 7:33:34 pm

With the XDCAM, you need to use the XDCAM TRANSFER UTILITY to convert the files to the XDCAM QT codec...get out of the camera's MP4 format. And then convert those QT files to ProRes with Compressor, or the Media Manager in FCP. Personally, I'd import them all into FCP, then use the Media Manager. Unlike Compressor, it won't add a suffix to the name, and it will keep REEL and timecode information. Do that overnight as you sleep.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]