FORUMS: list search recent posts

ProRes LT FCP project to BluRay

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
dylan toombs
ProRes LT FCP project to BluRay
on Jun 20, 2012 at 8:52:35 pm

Hello,

So I would like to output my ProRes LT project to Blu-Ray to be projected on a large screen.

My questions:

1. My project is about 25minutes in length, should I output as the ProRes LT file? Or convert to Mpeg2? Or Mpeg4? If I should convert it what should my process be? Compressor?

2. Should I then use toast to burn this file? Or is there a better way?

3. Finally, I was told that Blu-Ray is keeping true to the digital quality of project, when projected will it remain pretty close to my computer monitor? I don't have access to a True Color monitor, so I need to cheat a little. Would applying the Broadcast safe filter to the final product be a good idea?

I know it's a lot, but any help is very appreciated.

Return to posts index

Jessica Muth
Re: ProRes LT FCP project to BluRay
on Jun 21, 2012 at 12:47:47 am

There is a couple of things that needed to be disclosed first. First off, what are the specs of your file? Is it 1920 x 1080? What is the frame rate: 23.98 or 29.97?

Once that information is given, it can help with giving the best answer. In the mean time, here is some advice based in the information you have given.

Based on your mentioning Apple ProRes LT, I would assume you have access to FCP. With that, you don't need me create an Apple ProRes LT for a playable Blu-Ray; you need to create streams as either H.264s or AVCHD with a separate .ac3 audio track. There should be an option in the H.264 setting in Compressor in the Inspector window where you can change it from .mov to Blu-Ray. Then take an .ac3 setting from a standard DVD setting an use that for your audio.

As far as Toast, there is an option for you to burn a Blu-Ray, but I am not familiar with the latest version, so you may want to double check with what Toast will take. However, if you have access to Adobe Encore, that can easily author Blu-Rays discs.

I'm not sure what type on computer monitor you have, but it is important to know that EVERY TV and monitor will display an image differently. As every TV and monitor is not calibrated or set-up the same, an image may look different on one set when compared to another. I would check your coloring with a Vectorscope and Waveform monitor (which is available in FCP) instead of immediately throwing a filter on. The broadcast filter is mainly used to crush the blacks to make sure your video stays at or below 100 IRE.

Hope this helps!

Return to posts index

dylan toombs
on Jun 22, 2012 at 2:24:07 am

Thanks that did help.

My project is 1920 x 1080 23.94.

I found this color correcting tutorial and it has been working great.

I assume I should color correct before adding a magic bullet filter? That should be the last thing on correct?

Return to posts index

Jessica Muth
on Jun 22, 2012 at 10:01:40 am

Yes.

Jessica Muth
Production Operations Manager
Video Labs
Rockville, MD
301-217-0000
jmuth@videolabs.net

Return to posts index

andrea victoria calderon
on Oct 4, 2016 at 4:17:17 am

Jessica!

How do I create a Blue-Ray for a ProRes 422 LT master (trans-coded), because the original footage is h264, shot on Canont3i; maintaining the best possible quality. I don't understand the part about making "streams" of h264

Thanks for your time ?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]