FORUMS: list search recent posts

Duplicate frames, Frame rates and other joys

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jack Bonnett
Duplicate frames, Frame rates and other joys
on Jun 20, 2012 at 4:22:08 pm

Hi I just thought that I'd check with people more knowledgeable about this sort of thing then myself before wading in to deal with things on my own.

We've recently been sent a number of clips to re-purpose for a client. They sent the clips over as large progressive HD H264 files which is far from ideal but that's all we'll be getting. As I was sorting through them I noticed that most of them were 29.97fps but one was 23.98fps. Irritating but not the end of the world.

However what I have also noticed is that all the 29.97 clips have a duplicate frame every fourth frame. I'm assuming that this is because they have been incorrectly standards converted from 23.98 in the first place. Would that be a logical assumption?

Also I was wondering if I was missing anything here because Compressor handles the 23.98 clip absolutely fine but the UI slows down hugely when working with any of the 29.97 files. The encode speeds are fine but there is obviously a lot of processing going on when I try to access one of these files in Compressor. I was wondering then if maybe they had some sort of pulldown or anything embedded in them that I wasn't seeing. Is this even possible?

Is there anything I can do about this or is it just a case of the client working with already faulty third generation clips and now being stuck with them?

Thanks for all your great help so far.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Duplicate frames, Frame rates and other joys
on Jun 20, 2012 at 6:20:05 pm

You're right: some fool stuck 23.976 clips in a 29.97 timeline and thought the results would be proper frame rate conversion.

It's time for a call to the client. Explain the situation, and try to learn the provenance of the clips. You might be able to get the original footage -- well, closer to the original footage -- at the proper frame rate.

Or perhaps that goofy cadence isn't a concern for your client. But I'd check first.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]