FORUMS: list search recent posts

Glitchy Video on Export from Final Cut

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Errol Lazare
Glitchy Video on Export from Final Cut
on Jun 20, 2012 at 6:21:03 am

I am experiencing a glitch when I export from final cut using Export to Quicktime Movie.
Basically after every edit point there is a mosaic square pixelated glitch that appears.

I am on a Mac Pro 8 Core 2.8 GHz processor. My editing / scratch drive is 2x 1TB stripped drives.
Has anyone experienced this problem before?

Thanks!

Errol X. Lazare
EXL Films
http://www.exlfilms.com

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Glitchy Video on Export from Final Cut
on Jun 20, 2012 at 6:53:03 am

What is the format of the footage in your sequence? What codec?

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Tony Brittan
on Jun 20, 2012 at 3:04:26 pm

That was my first question! Betting it's some sort of h.264 or something.

Posted from iPad, please excuse typos!

Return to posts index

Grant Strac
on Jun 20, 2012 at 8:16:27 am

Hey,

Yes I have had many problems similar to what you are having. In my experience I have found that my system was being taxed out and this is why glitches are happening. I am sure you will know most of my following advice but to cover all bases I will lay them all out. First you should never do anything on your system while your machine is exporting an MOV from final cut. My system has 22gb of ram and when I do export this way I still don't let it do anything but focus on that. Next I would shut down completely, not restart it does not fully close out the machine. I found after editing for hour I would not have issues but four hours or more sometimes this happened. Close out all programs but what you are using.

If the problem persists I would like to offer a work flow change. After having problems like this I now never export self contained mov for final print of previews. I always export from final cut timeline to compressor and set my settings there. I have not used self contained export in years because it does not dedicate ram and processor usage directly to that task. Compressor does dedicate a certain amount of system functions to the encoding task and will not waver unless you seriously tax out the machine like do motion graphics while it is encoding with compressor. If I am under a time crunch and need to encode quickly I do export in FInal Cut but deselect the "self contained" and then import this non-self contained file into compressor. Self contained means that all the footage and information is embedded into the video and non self contained basically makes the timeline one flattened product. It is only a reference file for final cut to your project file locations.

Sorry for the addition information if it bothers you I am certified trainer so I like to cover all bases.

In you problem after trying to calm your system down if the export from final cut still gives glitches I will say with 97% confidence that if you export using compressor this problem will disappear. If it still happens then your problem is with your original media but this sounds like that is not the case but it's always good to find that file where it glitches on and reveal in finder to preview using quicktime just to be sure. When these problems arise I always suggest to look at all avenues just to be sure.

Compressor is a POWERFUL program and with all of FCS's roundtripping abilities it's best to go ahead and use the corresponding program with the tasks you need to finish. Also using compressor will most likely yield quicker encodes than doing it from Final Cut.

I hope this helps

Grant Strac
Apple Master Pro Certified FSC2
Apple Trainer Certified FCP6
Apple FCS Optimization Certified

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Jun 20, 2012 at 12:34:56 pm

Yeap.
That smells to some GOP based codec.
Do you have the same glitches in your time-line.
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Jacob Brown
on Mar 13, 2016 at 10:52:34 pm

did you ever resolve this? i'm having the same problem both in timeline and export. only in FCPX not in resolve. on a maxed out brand new iMac

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]