FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCP-X on a 2008 Mac Pro

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Roel Bus
FCP-X on a 2008 Mac Pro
on Jun 19, 2012 at 4:55:16 pm

I find it a little sad, that a dual Quad Core 3.2 GHz with 8 GB RAM (I know, that's not nearly enough anymore) can not even keep up with the most basic editing on X. Everything takes a long time, spinning beach ball galore, exporting to Compressor results in crashes...
I recently upgraded to the Radeon 5700 graphics card with 1 GB of VRAM. I do realize that upgrading RAM is going to make a difference, but first of all it's half the speed of the current available RAM (800 MHz), and secondly comparatively ridiculously expensive. It might be worth considering if that is going to help, but not if all other components need upgrading. I just don't have the budget.
Do not, ever, think ahead with computers.... I bought this one anticipating 64 bit computing a few years ago, and now that it's here, it's not good enough. Buy what you need now.

Return to posts index

Steve Eisen
Re: FCP-X on a 2008 Mac Pro
on Jun 19, 2012 at 5:41:19 pm

Depends on which codecs you are editing with. ProRes works perfectly fine. HDV or h.264 is like walking in cement.

Steve Eisen
Eisen Video Productions
Vice President
Chicago Creative Pro Users Group

Return to posts index

Scott Sheriff
Re: FCP-X on a 2008 Mac Pro
on Jun 19, 2012 at 9:12:00 pm

[Steve Eisen] "Depends on which codecs you are editing with. ProRes works perfectly fine. HDV or h.264 is like walking in cement."

I have an MP octo core and at least 90% of what I do is HDV. I'm not having any issues editing HDV (native) in FCS. Perhaps it might be that the camera I use has a short GOP structure compared to the Sony. But still, no issues at all.

Scott Sheriff
Director
http://www.sstdigitalmedia.com

"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." ---Red Adair

Where were you on 6/21?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]