FORUMS: list search recent posts

Best way to optimally use 60fps footage that's both slowed down and "normal"

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kevin Borke
Best way to optimally use 60fps footage that's both slowed down and "normal"
on Jun 19, 2012 at 2:06:40 am

I've been playing with this a while and I can't seem to find the best way to do this.

Essentially I've shot a bunch of stuff at 720p 60fps. Now, I'd say 80% of my footage will be shown at "normal" speed, meaning it's not slowed down at all. Another 20% I'd want to slow down. I've yet to find a workflow / sequence setting / whatever that fits all of my needs.

Essentially if I just throw it in a sequence (and set that to the clip settings)...it plays great, it looks real crisp and plays at a real speed, not slowed down. But if I go to change the speed of the clip, then it does slow it down, but FCP doesn't actually utilize the 60frames and just dupes frames making it slowed down but all janky and crappy.

After a bunch of reading I've been conforming my footage using Cinema Tools. From there I've got all my clips and if I create a sequence based on the new clip settings it plays them slowed down...which is a start. So I've just been speeding the clips up 250% to make them play at their true to life speed. Problem is, the sped up footage and just the original non-conformed footage look dramatically different. Sped up to make it play at it's normal speed makes it shakey and the motion isn't as fluid.

I'm trying to avoid having two sets of clips to work with, meaning
don't want both a set of conformed and non-conformed stuff to work with. Is this possible to do this? Or would it be easiest to sort of go through my edits and figure out what I want to be slowed down....then export it, conform it and then bring them back in so my slow-mo clips have different settings.

Hopefully this made sense....

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
Re: Best way to optimally use 60fps footage that's both slowed down and "normal"
on Jun 19, 2012 at 2:16:27 am

[Kevin Borke] "I'm trying to avoid having two sets of clips to work with, meaning
don't want both a set of conformed and non-conformed stuff to work with. "

But that's the way to work if you want the thing looks as good as possible.
The first thing you need to decide is the time-base of your movie.
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Kevin Borke
Re: Best way to optimally use 60fps footage that's both slowed down and "normal"
on Jun 19, 2012 at 2:19:34 am

Typically I edit at 24fps...but with this I'm guessing my best bet might be to just to edit everything without conforming it. Figure out which clips I want to slow down....export those....then conform all of those bits and pieces, then bring them back in to slow down and mix with the other stuff. So I will have to conform some of it, but it'll just take a bit of preparation and organization to get it all just right.

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Jun 19, 2012 at 2:36:45 am

At p24 nothing will ever look really smooth.
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Jason Brown
on Jun 19, 2012 at 2:51:55 pm

Fcpx has conforming in the timeline. It's really impressive.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]