FORUMS: list search recent posts

NTSC to PAL advice

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Rick Neely
NTSC to PAL advice
on Jun 18, 2012 at 10:35:51 pm

hey guys,

this might be more of a Compressor question, but thought I'd ask here first :)

have an NTSC sequence six channel, native hd but letterbox in NTSC 720x480 (Pro Res 422 HQ codec). I've been asked to convert it to PAL (720x576) 4 channel (m&e on 3&4). I have done the following-

adjusted the timeline to four channel audio, assigned tracks 3-6 (the m&e) to 3&4 and tracks 1-2 to 1&2.

I exported the file as quicktime ref, and imported to compressor.

I used the DVCPRO50 PAL preset and set the audio to pass-thru, and exported. The file looks good and all parameters check out when I re-import back into an FCP sequence to check.

My question is this- I've been advised to avoid the DV-PAL codec (ergo I used the DVCPro PAL), but the file size of the video as it stands is 10gb.

What PAL codec (or compressor preset) would you use to get the best quality possible without unnecessarily increasing the file size enormously? The program I'm converting used to be outputted to PAL Digibeta, so I'm trying to meet that quality or better.

Would love some opinion ideas. Thanks!

R

Return to posts index

Rick Neely
Re: NTSC to PAL advice
on Jun 18, 2012 at 10:41:46 pm

Or do I just use the Pro Res 422 (HQ) preset, and manually change the video settings to 720x576, 25fps)?

anyone? anyone?

R :)

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Jun 18, 2012 at 10:50:17 pm

I would export a self contained QT movie with the correct audio assignment and then first preference is to send that to a facility with a hardware standards converter to go to digibeta PAL. One step, real time, best quality.

If you use Compressor and set frame controls and wait for the long render you can get a reasonable result. Stay with ProRes however. DV in PAL is lower field so you introduce a field shift issue that then has be corrected back as digi beta in PAL land is always upper field. In fact all PAL codecs bar the DV flavours are upper.

Also 16:9 in the PAL broadcast world is always anamorphic (also called full height) so you have to scale from letterbox up to anamorphic.

Return to posts index

Rick Neely
on Jun 18, 2012 at 11:46:00 pm

Mike,

thx for the response. we're trying to bypass going to digi-beta altogether, ergo all this testing.

SO I should stay with prores, set fps to 25, 720x576, and ADDITIONALLY set upper field preference, and scale UP & adjust the content to anamophic 720x576?

please confirm I have it.

Rick

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Jun 19, 2012 at 12:26:00 am

Yes ProRes 720 x 576 anamorphic, 25fps upper field is the standard.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]