FORUMS: list search recent posts

Online of AVCHD Necessary When Editing in ProRes?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nina Lucia
Online of AVCHD Necessary When Editing in ProRes?
on Jun 18, 2012 at 10:19:21 pm

Hi. I'm cutting a feature on FCP 7 that was shot on AVCHD and imported as ProRes. I'm trying to make the final determination on whether or not an online using the original camera footage is necessary for the final cut and also for turning over VFX shots.

From all the reading I've done here and elsewhere seems that there is no degradation when importing AVCHD file into FCP using ProRes since AVCHD is a compressed format. So it seems that from here on out I only need to use the ProRes footage from FCP for the final output to a color timer, turning over VFX shots, etc...

Would love it if someone can confirm this as I have gotten a lot of info piecemeal and don't want to come to the wrong conclusion. I'm hoping it will not be necessary as the person who did the initial import didn't include any camera "roll" info and there are no camera reports either so it would take a few days to track that back and fill it all in.

Thanks.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Online of AVCHD Necessary When Editing in ProRes?
on Jun 18, 2012 at 10:56:30 pm

[Nina Lucia] "I'm trying to make the final determination on whether or not an online using the original camera footage is necessary for the final cut"

No. There is no going back to the original footage when you shoot AVCHD. FCP doesn't work with AVCHD native...so there is no point. And AVCHD is 8-bit, so importing as ProRes 422 is as good as it gets. Any higher data rate will be a waste of space (HQ and 4444).

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Nina Lucia
on Jun 18, 2012 at 11:01:10 pm

Thanks very much Shane, appreciate it.

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Jun 18, 2012 at 11:08:12 pm

You also need to talk to the people who are grading and doing VFX shots as they might have their own specific advice and requirements. As Shane said, ProRes is usually the best format for edit, grade etc but always ask.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]