FORUMS: list search recent posts

Work flow to get from FCP7 to Panasonic DVCHD deck with BlackMagic Ultrastudio.

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dan Swiney
Work flow to get from FCP7 to Panasonic DVCHD deck with BlackMagic Ultrastudio.
on Jun 18, 2012 at 7:47:11 pm

First I am not an editor, or FCP expert, so if this should be easy, excuse my ignorance.

We have:
FCP7 on a new MacPro tower.
A 2 hour sequence in FCP7 on a 1080i sequence.
A MacbookPro (with FCP7)thunderbolt to a Black Magic Ultrastudio 3D
A Panasonic DVCHD deck AJ-HD1200AP that wants 720P60

The thought is to export out of FCP7 the full sequence, copy that .mov to the Macbook Pro, playout of FCP7 through the BM Ultrastudio over SDI, into the deck, and record on the deck.

A. does that make sense?
B. What format should I export as ProRes 720p60?

Cheers

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Work flow to get from FCP7 to Panasonic DVCHD deck with BlackMagic Ultrastudio.
on Jun 18, 2012 at 8:21:29 pm

It isn't all that easy. Really, this should be handled by an editor who not only knows FCP...but also knows the Blackmagic interface and knows the deck as well. Converting 1080i to 720p isn't an easy thing. I don't think the card does the cross conversion like the AJA cards do, so you will need to make a sequence that matches what you need.

No, this isn't an easy task. You need someone familiar with FCP on a pretty deep level to do this. Talking you through the proceedure on a web forum will be like trying to talk someone through piloting a plane into a landing. Complicated due to the fact that you don't know the app well.

Get someone in there that knows FCP well, and can do what needs to be done.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Dan Swiney
Re: Work flow to get from FCP7 to Panasonic DVCHD deck with BlackMagic Ultrastudio.
on Jun 18, 2012 at 8:24:49 pm

Thank you. Our editor knows FCP well, but like you say it's knowing the whole process.
So he will export the entire sequence with "quicktime conversion" to a 720p60 clip.
We will play that back out of FCP7 on the laptop, and hit record on the deck.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Jun 18, 2012 at 8:42:33 pm

Well, that would be the wrong thing to do.

They need to export a self contained file. A Quicktime file that matches the sequence settings. Then they need to use Compressor to convert to 720p60.

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

Dan Swiney
on Jun 18, 2012 at 8:57:16 pm

The 2hour sequence is not yet rendered (it is mix of many different sized clips). Does it still make sense to render it to sequence setting, and then convert in compressor? Will that double the rendering time?

This is not a "normal" edit, its a collection of many small clips form many sources that have been "thrown together" so they can be recorded to the deck, to be ingested into an EVS in the morning.

Return to posts index

Steve Eisen
on Jun 18, 2012 at 9:34:06 pm

This is what I would do. Render the entire sequence on the MacPro. Export a Self-Contained QuickTime Movie onto an external hard drive.

On the MacBook Pro, attach the external hard drive and Ultrastudio. Go SDI out of Ultrastudio to the EVS. The Ultrastudio will cross convert from 1080 to 720.

If the MacBook Pro and Ultrastudio won't be with the EVS, you have 2 options, lay to tape or copy a ProRes file onto a AJA KiPro and playback to the EVS. I've done this many times.

Steve Eisen
Eisen Video Productions
Vice President
Chicago Creative Pro Users Group

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Jun 18, 2012 at 9:48:12 pm

Does the UltraStudio cross convert? I couldn't find info on that. If it does, GREAT!

You have to dig into the Decklink control panel to find that option.

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

Dan Swiney
on Jun 18, 2012 at 11:21:41 pm

Thank you all.

Return to posts index

Steve Eisen
on Jun 18, 2012 at 11:28:38 pm

[Shane Ross] "Does the UltraStudio cross convert? I couldn't find info on that. If it does, GREAT!"

I've never used it. But the BM says the UltaStudio Pro and 3D do. The Express only cross converts 720 to 1080 during capture.

Steve Eisen
Eisen Video Productions
Vice President
Chicago Creative Pro Users Group

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]