FORUMS: list search recent posts

Scaling Issues---With funky sequence preset.

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dustin Rosemark
Scaling Issues---With funky sequence preset.
on Jun 18, 2012 at 6:37:25 pm

Greetings! Working on an unusual project and ran into a wall:

I am working on a type of animation where all the frames have been sequenced in .psd. The frame size is 963 x 1591, so I created a sequence preset to reflect that size (with the intent of doing a 90degree rotation once I had the sequence in it's final video form.

So I have the sequence preset and it is the exact same size as the .psd files it will end-up holding. When I add the .PSD to the timeline they get distorted and scaled to be SQUARE instead of rectangular. (see photo)

I know I can fix this by rescaling each individual file with 'wireframe' but seeing as I have 8000+ frames to work with that is not an option. So I need a solution to natively import the .psd(s) into a FCP timeline without the scaling OR I need a workaround in something like Aftereffects. I am thinking there is a check-box in the user prefs that I am not aware of. Thoughts anyone?

D.M. Rosemark

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Scaling Issues---With funky sequence preset.
on Jun 18, 2012 at 7:12:59 pm

[Dustin Rosemark] "The frame size is 963 x 1591...."

That certainly is a funky frame size! The problem: FCP is designed to work in standard frame sizes.

So some diagnostic questions emerge:

Why that particular frame size? It's very odd.
On what kind of device will this play back?
What are your delivery specifications: media container, codec and frame rate?

They'll help people determine if FCP will be the right tool for the job.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Dustin Rosemark
on Jun 18, 2012 at 7:32:00 pm

Hi Dave!

1) That is a very complicated question, but the long and the sort of it is that this is the actual analogue frame size of the inter-positive.

2) Screens and Monitors

3) Unknown at the moment. I will probably archive in a prores 422 or an uncompressed 10-bit.

BEST

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Jun 18, 2012 at 9:56:50 pm

We're getting closer.

Did you know that 1280 x 720 HD video scales very nicely to 1920x1080 HD video? I haven't done the arithmetic, but it sounds close to a 16x9 screen aspect ratio, and not a bad candidate for an HD edit timeline. us I have a suspicion you wouldn't have to work in that off-the-wall resolution.

Screens and monitors are display devices. They aren't playback devices. How will this be played back?

Glad to know you're archiving in a high-quality codec, but knowing what you need to deliver can influence how you start, too.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Dustin Rosemark
on Jun 18, 2012 at 10:13:37 pm

Dave,

Yeah I think we are putting the cart before the horse. What I am looking for is an intermediate FCP interface to work with the animation in its native orientation. After that, getting it to the final shell is not my problem.

My problem is getting the frames into the a vertical sequence without it scaling the .psd into some weird (and seemingly arbitrary) aspect.

What I need is a way to import .psd into my timeline w/out FCP deciding it needs to scale them.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Jun 18, 2012 at 10:36:18 pm

You might want to look at using something different. After Effects will honor your images' original resolution, and you can do what you need to do. This sounds like a slide shot, so it souldn't be tough.

If you go to HD, know that you can't make ANYTHING in a vertical aspect ratio. It must be horizontal. Likewise, no common playback device will play back a vertical aspect ratio. You have to decide which way you're going to rotate the HD monitor for playback. Or you have to make two varieties of the file: one with the vertical animation rotated clockwise and one rotated counterclockwise.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Dustin Rosemark
on Jun 18, 2012 at 10:39:34 pm

Well like I said, I am only working with the files in their native orientation as an intermediate. I figure that doing a 90 degree rotation ONCE to a completed video file is a lot better then doing it 8000 times to individual .psd files.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Jun 18, 2012 at 10:52:15 pm

8000, huh? Sounds like it could be an image sequence.

After Effects will import sequentially-numbered images with the same base file name as an image sequence, you can assign the appropriate frame rate, place it in an AE comp, then nest the resulting comp in a normal HD comp for the one single rotation.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Jun 18, 2012 at 11:05:40 pm

You seem to be making this overly complex. Looking at your image it appears the correct way to view it is 1591 x 953. If you work in portrait and then rotate 90 you end up back at landscape so firstly your sequence should be landscape which makes it close to 16:9.

That said, FCP doesn't like working at non standard frame sizes and is a poor scaler. AE is probably a better tool particularly as you are dealing with psd files.

Dave's point about how this is to be presented makes a big difference to your approach. Not knowing how it will be played makes it really difficult to offer more concrete advice. If I knew for example it would be played off bluray to a monitor then my advice would be to work within a 1920 x 1080 sequence with a slight scale up and a trim to the distort.

Again, FCP may not be the best tool.

Return to posts index

Dustin Rosemark
on Jun 18, 2012 at 11:22:43 pm

OK I should really restate the question. Forget anything i mentioned about vertical profiles etc. b/c the same thing would happen when importing a .psd file into a standard video format. Working with a vertical profile IS NOT the problem.

So my question is:

How do I get a .psd it import into a timeline, at the PSD(s) native size and not have it be scaled/skewed.

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Jun 18, 2012 at 11:29:28 pm

After Effects or you could try Motion. FCP is not designed for non standard frame sizes and is a poor scaler as has been mentioned already.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]