FORUMS: list search recent posts

Editing HD over USB 3.0

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Adam Epstein
Editing HD over USB 3.0
on Jun 18, 2012 at 5:36:37 pm

Hi there. I'm considering getting one of the new Macbook Airs (2.0GHz Core i7 / 8GB of RAM, 512 GB SSD) to use as a travel workstation, and with the lack of Firewire ports was wondering if editing HD video over USB 3.0 is a valid option. Obviously, Thunderbolt would be ideal, but the lack of larger sized TB drives that are bus powered (or not painfully expensive), has me curious about USB 3.0

Anyone have experience cutting with USB 3.0? I know it's data stream works in packets, but was hoping the speed gains made up for the lack of a steady data stream.

Thanks.

Return to posts index

Steve Eisen
Re: Editing HD over USB 3.0
on Jun 18, 2012 at 5:54:40 pm

Not known. Purchase a Thunderbolt to FW800 cable and edit with a FW800 drive just to be safe.

One solution is Other World Computing's Voyager Q dock. It includes all the connections you would need. USB 3, FW800 (X2), FW400, and eSata. All you need to add is a bare hard drive.

Steve Eisen
Eisen Video Productions
Vice President
Chicago Creative Pro Users Group

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
Re: Editing HD over USB 3.0
on Jun 18, 2012 at 10:16:09 pm

Depends mostly on the codecs you are using. I have had jobs delivered to me on USB2 drive which were HDV and they ran just fine. Not recommended but with a light data codec like HDV, DVCPRoHD, ProRes LT or ProRes 422 USB3 should be reliable.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]