FORUMS: list search recent posts

Best Frame Rate for Cameras for video on Internet

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
carlton hathcoat
Best Frame Rate for Cameras for video on Internet
on Jun 15, 2012 at 6:04:35 pm

We have a shoot coming up next week that we are shooting on Panasonic P2 Vari Cams. The video is for a large agency but will only be shown on the web, Facebook, Twitter, YouTube Etc. They may use for other purposes later. I have two questions. Is there a better frame rate for the photographers to shoot on since it's going to be used on web only? I assume 720 30P would be better than 10801 59.94 which is what we shoot for broadcast. And for the H264 conversion, does anyone have specs they recommend? In the past I have done Frame size 640x360, Frame Rate; Current, Key Frames: Auto, Compressor: High, Encoding: Faster encode (Single Pass), Data Rate: restrict to 2500kbps. I have also done Frame Size 1280x720 for HD. I want the best quality I can get that will obviously play reasonably fast. I appreciate any expert info. You guys are great!!!

Return to posts index

Mike Caddell
Re: Best Frame Rate for Cameras for video on Internet
on Jun 15, 2012 at 6:31:32 pm

Hi Carlton -

You're right, 720 30p is what you want. Computer monitors are progressive, not interlaced.

As far as encoding, try experimenting with the YouTube presets in Compressor. When you're done the project, export a brief clip to test using various encodes and find which works best in all the places they decide to use it. Sounds like you may be able to get away with just one encode for YouTube and link to it with Facebook and Twitter.

Good luck.

Return to posts index

John Young
on Jun 15, 2012 at 6:49:30 pm

Even if it will only be meant for web distribution, I see no reason to shoot in 720 instead of 1080. You can always output a 720 file from 1080 footage and there are plenty of situations where you can use those extra pixels to your advantage.

As far as frame rate: I believe most internet video players (Flash, HTML 5) are frame rate agnostic for the most part. If you want 24fps or 30fps, they can handle those.

For internet viewing progressive is better than interlaced, but otherwise I wouldn't limit your footage your shoot based solely on the fact that it will be internet distributed.

John

Return to posts index

carlton hathcoat
on Jun 15, 2012 at 7:03:41 pm

thanks!

Return to posts index

Mike Caddell
on Jun 15, 2012 at 8:23:16 pm

John's absolutely right, I thought you meant that your only choice for shooting progressive was 720. My apologies.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]