FORUMS: list search recent posts

How do you change the ocean colour from greenish to blue?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tina Loven
How do you change the ocean colour from greenish to blue?
on Jun 14, 2012 at 1:09:48 pm

Hi there creative people,

Just shot my first ever short and Im having trouble in colour grading. Lets just say I'm a novice at Final Cut and due to the circumstances of the shoot I would like to change some colour. I'm using the Color Corrector in FCP 7 and have a greenish ripple water is some clips with objects like boat, fishing road and sailor in the foreground. What I would like to do is see if I can change the colour of the water to a more blue like the open sea. We had to shoot it in the marina hence the issue.

Can anyone post me in the right direction if their is a link or already answered tute on this. Much appreciated.

Thanks Tina L

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
Re: How do you change the ocean colour from greenish to blue?
on Jun 14, 2012 at 1:32:27 pm

In the lower left of the 3W-CC there is an small triangle that open the "limiter".
That you produce a mask on the picture (HSL: based on the tone and bright and saturation) where the the correction will take place, instead of affecting the whole frame.
You can combine that with duplicating the layer and cropping or using some "Garbage matte" so you can change just the areas of the image that you want.
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Jun 14, 2012 at 4:20:57 pm

BTW, there is a great tutorial on using apple color available from the COW, not too expensive:-)

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Jun 14, 2012 at 6:17:22 pm

Color does an amazing job at this. Also DaVinci Resolve Light is free....plus it is software that is still supported.

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Check out my Motion Training DVD

Check out my Vimeo page

Return to posts index

Tina Loven
on Jun 15, 2012 at 1:09:52 am

Thanks for the heads up guys. Will any of these tutorials help in making the whole ocean clean as the colour correction so far misses highlights and shading of the moving ocean.

It looks quite fake with some bits blue. Do I have to adjust the colour for each individual frame?

Thanks again

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Jun 15, 2012 at 1:17:33 am

HSL keying is tricky. You might need more than one color corrector to cover the range of the ocean.

Rich Harrington did a tutorial a few years back that described the HSL limit effect process in FCP's 3wayCC. If you want to do it in FCP it might be worth hunting that down. I have linked to it before so earching this forum should throw it up or just search Rich's tutorials.

A tool like Color with multiple secondaries and the ability to mask limit the key effect will do a much better job.

Return to posts index

Tina Loven
on Jun 15, 2012 at 1:35:26 am

Wow that was fast,

Looks like I'll do it in colour rather than colour corrector. Which brings me to the point of that I have gone ahead and placed stills and dissolves/video transitions and when I send the whole file 6 minutes worth. All the files show up (Shot name and numbers) file but no clips do just one or two. I read on the forums that there is a whole process of like stripping back so there are no stills and now transitions just the movie clips for colour to work. The whole time line has no visual images on it just the wireframe box.

The ones that do play back are the stock footage purchased online. My original footage shot on red that was converted properly is no where to be seen.

Screenshot attached if my novice ways didn't explain it.

Thanks again

Return to posts index

Tina Loven
on Jun 15, 2012 at 1:38:13 am

Wow that was fast,

Looks like I'll do it in colour rather than colour corrector. Which brings me to the point of that I have gone ahead and placed stills and dissolves/video transitions and when I send the whole file 6 minutes worth. All the files show up (Shot name and numbers) file but no clips do just one or two. I read on the forums that there is a whole process of like stripping back so there are no stills and now transitions just the movie clips for colour to work. The whole time line has no visual images on it just the wireframe box.

The ones that do play back are the stock footage purchased online. My original footage shot on red that was converted properly is no where to be seen.

Screenshot attached if my novice ways didn't explain it.

Thanks again

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Jun 15, 2012 at 1:44:26 am

Yes Color is fussy like FCP about codecs. Unlike FCP it just won't show anything that isn't an FCP edit codec. If you can relink to your RED files, then Color does support r3d and it gives you amazing control in the grade, but you have to have the RED codecs and support pack installed (free from the RED website).

Still do not go into Color, nor does H264 etc.

Walter Biscardi did a lot of posts & tutorials about preping for Color.

Return to posts index

Tina Loven
on Jun 15, 2012 at 1:52:00 am

Thanks Michael, Looks like its time to read up on those people and carefully learn how to do it.

I already have al the RED codecs. What did you mean " Still don't go into colour, nor does h264 etc"

Thanks

Ciao for now

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Jun 15, 2012 at 2:33:58 am

Typo. Stills like jpegs, tiffs etc do not load into Color and have to be color corrected in FCP. I have the Colorista II plugin for doing that in FCP

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Jun 15, 2012 at 2:47:23 pm

Here is a link to a tutorial to help you prepare your sequences to go from FCP to color. by Walter Biscardi.

Also, if you just need to color correct a few shots then you only need to bring in those shots. Other wise you will need to convert the stock footage shots to a codec Color will use. Best of luck.

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Check out my Motion Training DVD

Check out my Vimeo page

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]