FORUMS: list search recent posts

Is it better to convert .wav files to .aif for use in FCP 6.0.6?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Lauren Swain
Is it better to convert .wav files to .aif for use in FCP 6.0.6?
on Jun 13, 2012 at 2:25:09 pm

The .wav files play fine, but usually I work with .aif and want to avoid problems down the road. Thanks!

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
Re: Is it better to convert .wav files to .aif for use in FCP 6.0.6?
on Jun 13, 2012 at 2:44:56 pm

Should be no difference between wav or aif. FCP stamps a frame rate on audio assets so make sure your Easy Setup matches the sequence you are working with before importing audio files of any type into FCP.

I only ever use wav or aif, 16 or 24 bit and 48khz only. Other bit depths, sample rates or audio compression like mp3 or aac is likely to cause a range of problems but aif or wav are both good.

Return to posts index

Lauren Swain
on Jun 13, 2012 at 2:55:34 pm

Thanks, Michael!

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Jun 13, 2012 at 8:57:02 pm

As long as you're using aif or WAV you're good. If its a different sample rate then you'll simply want to do an item level render on it, which creates an intermediate file that FCP draws on. No different than converting in QT or iTunes, except simpler and less mess of originals and converted clips all over the place to keep track of. Works wonderfully and it's the way the manual suggests doing for about 8 years now.

Return to posts index

Tony Brittan
on Jun 13, 2012 at 3:53:22 pm

I have had trouble with .wav before. Makes you render audio and what-not. Plus, when I went through certification for FCP, our instructor said to ALWAYS convert to .aif as its native to FCP. 16bit, 48k .aif is what you want.

Tony Brittan
Island Shore Productions
Posted from iPad, please excuse typos!

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Jun 13, 2012 at 4:04:10 pm

aif and wav behave the same in FCP from my experience. Never had to render a wav file unless it was a bit depth other than 16 or 24.

Older versions of FCP did have issues with wav but since FCP6 started to handle broadcast wav, I have not seen any issues with it that would make me convert wav files to aif.

Return to posts index

Tony Brittan
on Jun 13, 2012 at 9:34:02 pm

Heck...you're probably correct. All I know is that I've had .wav cause a need to render (FCP 6 & 7) audio...especially when you get a few layers and/or have it mixed with .aif in the timeline), even when it's the same sample and bitrate, so I've just always used .aif since it works perfectly every time.

T each his own, but I always pick the path that I know never causes problems.

Return to posts index

Tony Brittan
on Jun 13, 2012 at 9:34:25 pm

Sorry, Posted from iPad, please excuse typos!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]