FORUMS: list search recent posts

poor-man's LED monitor calibration

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Alan Langdon
poor-man's LED monitor calibration
on Jun 13, 2012 at 2:04:20 pm

I am running FCP 7 on a MacMini 2012 model. Using the HDMI output (converting to DVI) and going into a 24" LG LED HD Full monitor via such DVI cable.

I am well aware that color correction and broadcast HD monitors are the most professional and final way to deal with monitoring color correction, but for now I do not hav the option of purchasing anything else... So, my question is: how far can I go to ensure at least a somewhat trustworthy color balance and contrast ratio? How can I calibrate my monitor for color correction, being fully aware of this non-professional setup?

I have used Mac's monitor calibration system and come to what appears to be a good contrast / brightness/ hue / gamma situation. I think...! I did this adjusting both the LED monitor's brightness and contrast as well as using the System Preferences tool I just mentioned.

Can I do this any better? How do I know I have reached my best? Color / FCP's calibration instructions are more geared towards external tube displays, It seems.

Any help much appreciated and thanks for having patience with my poor-man's request!

Return to posts index

Grant Strac
Re: poor-man's LED monitor calibration
on Jun 13, 2012 at 7:53:12 pm

I don't know what it's called but back in DV days in studios they used color bars and turned on blue only to calibrate. I recently had this issue and my mentor had this blue ring that you put over one eye, because LCD cant do blue only. So I put up color bars and used this blue viewfinder thing to calibrate but I could only used the TV's functions so I could only get it close not perfect because dosen't have all the functions a ntsc has but this brought my colors closer and I did my luma and black by feeding my desktop into a timeline and using the waveform to level it properly

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
Re: poor-man's LED monitor calibration
on Jun 14, 2012 at 8:59:29 am

Use the NTSC Bars (not the full) to adjust Bright (with the PLUGE bar) and Contrast.
The "Blue Only" is done by eliminating the signal in the Green and Red channels, so apply the "Channel Mixer" filter and set "0" everywhere except in the Blue-Blue value that must be = 1.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 All Rights Reserved