FORUMS: list search recent posts

Audio in LKFS?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jason Doyle
Audio in LKFS?
on Jun 13, 2012 at 12:42:14 am

Hi All. I'm cutting / mixing some content in FCP7 that is to be delivered to NBC next week. Just got the delivery specs tonight, and I'm a little confused. The delivery specs for the audio indicate that the Average Loudness should be at 24 LKFS and the Peak Loudness should be at -2dbfs. LKFS? Huh? After googling LKFS, I have a very basic understanding of what it is, but not sure if I have the tools to measure it. Is there a way to measure LKFS in FCP7? Soundtrack Pro? If they don't do it natively, are there plugins available that measure LKFS? I don't have access to Pro Tools, but do have an Avid, if that will measure it. Also have the latest Adobe Production Suite, if that can do it.

Help please.

Thanks much.

Jay

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
Re: Audio in LKFS?
on Jun 13, 2012 at 10:02:01 am

Loudness metering is not available as a plugin for FCP. I doubt if there is one for STP either. I have it built into my Fairlight system. I think Dolby make a plugin for ProTools. Dolby make an expensive standalone box that measures LKFS.

If you had a sound psot facility do the job then this sort of Tech spec is part of their job. NLEs like FCP and AVID are not proper audio finishing tools so this sort of metering is not usually required.

Return to posts index

Mark Spano
on Jun 14, 2012 at 2:01:07 pm

Without plugin capability, you'd need a standalone app that can measure LKFS. That's Dolby Media Meter. You export your mix as a WAV or AIFF and then feed it into this and it will spit out a number. Keep mixing until you hit the -24 +/-2 LKFS.

Return to posts index

Jason Doyle
on Jun 20, 2012 at 4:25:29 pm

Thanks, Michael. Thanks, Mark. I ended up having my client send this to an audio house for the final mix.

Return to posts index

Benjamin Rodriguez
on Jan 22, 2013 at 6:17:23 pm

Hey Michael, Mark.
Thank you for posting this info. I really benefited from it.

Return to posts index

Mark Spano
on Jan 22, 2013 at 6:30:18 pm

No problem. In the intervening time between my last post and now, the great Bouke at Video Toolshed has released his LoudnessChange, which can be had for very little and can provide both measurement and correction (for mix files), provided you've got a good sounding mix going in. Demo version available, well worth checking out.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]