FORUMS: list search recent posts

Log and Transfer error message, Canon EOS plug-in not working?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Lauren Swain
Log and Transfer error message, Canon EOS plug-in not working?
on Jun 12, 2012 at 5:31:12 pm

I have installed the plug-in for Canon EOS files, and I've downloaded my client's .mov h.264 files and corresponding THM files and have them stored together in a folder "Charles Interview". I am using FCP 6.0.6 on my new quad-core MacBook Pro. When I click on the add folder icon and select the folder, in spite of having installed the plug-in, I keep getting the error message "this folder contains unsupported media or has an invalid directory structure. Please choose a folder whose directory structure matches supported media". I have also tried just putting the .mov's in their own folder with the same result. I tried to look up the problem in the archives and commonly asked questions and couldn't find it. What do I need to do? Thanks!

Return to posts index

Tina Hedegaard
Re: Log and Transfer error message, Canon EOS plug-in not working?
on Jun 12, 2012 at 6:54:53 pm

You nede to make sure that you have the whole folderstructure. Reel/DCIM/MISC/eos(something) and then your .mov and.thm.
Google your camera-folderstructure to get the right one.
I've never used FCP6, so I don't know if the log and transfer supports canon.
Good luck

Yours Sincerely

Tina Hedegaard
Editor | Final Cut Pro 7 | Media Composer 5.0 -5.5
Mac OS 10.6.7

Return to posts index

Lauren Swain
on Jun 12, 2012 at 9:34:13 pm

Thank you, Tina. That makes sense. I've switched over to using MPEG Streamclip and it's doing a great job of converting those H.264s to ProRes quickly.

Does it work faster in Log and Transfer, though? Any disadvantages to doing it this way since I don't have the original camera folders?

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Jun 12, 2012 at 10:17:26 pm

It is all explained in this excellent tutorial from Shane Ross -

http://library.creativecow.net/ross_shane/tapeless-workflow_fcp-7/1

That said, FCP 6 is too old for the EOS plugin so you would be better off using Grinder if you want to keep timecode. Compressor and MPEGStreamclip do not read the thm files and so each clip has neither timecode nor reel number metadata so later on using Media Manager or generating and EDL becomes difficult.

Too often people just jump in and start editing without realising the corner you might be painting yourself into further down the post path. Less haste, more research can make it much easier and eventually faster and cheaper. There are lots of excellent tutorials and previous threads so remember to search this amazing resource called Creative Cow.

Return to posts index

Lauren Swain
on Jun 12, 2012 at 10:27:02 pm

Excellent points. I will definitely bear them in mind if by some miracle I ever have a chance to prepare for these things.

I haven't been using Media Manager or EDLs very often, so we'll be in good shape, I think. It's a small project.

If we do end up needing time code, any reason we can't just export the material we need from the timeline and create new files with new time code? There won't be any need to refer back to the original material or know the sequence of it for this particular project.

I've been using FCP since 2000, but these SD card files are a new game for me.

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Jun 13, 2012 at 9:56:39 am

To media manage or make an EDL you need reel numbers. This plus the ability to re capture in case a drive fails or you want an offline/online process means Log & Transfer plus full card file structure is vital.

Return to posts index

Lauren Swain
on Jun 13, 2012 at 2:22:10 pm

Can I have my videographer (in another city) upload the material in the proper folder format?

Can he send me the proper folder on hard drive or flash drive for my use?

Can he send me the material on an SD card that I can read, log and transfer on a card reader without having the camera present?

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Jun 13, 2012 at 2:41:52 pm

I never use the camera and certainly do not use Canon's camera software to get files off the camera. I use a CF card reader and use Disk Utility to make an image file of the card. This is my master backup. Your camera people can do this and send you the image files on hard drive. You should L&T from this or a copy. They should have a 2nd master backup hard drive before sending the disk to you or erasing the CF cards.

Never capture L&T directly from the CF card as if you need to recapture, L&T wants that card again. not your hard drive copy. So backup each card using a card reader, keep a safety copy and capture from the drive you will have available for the project.

Think of the vards as a master tape that needs to be backed up before erasing. Having two copies makes sense. Many people recommend using software that does a proper check sum to make sure the data integrity is absolutely maintained when copying from the card. I trust Disk Utility to make the image file.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]