FORUMS: list search recent posts

Exporting from ProRes timeline for Digibeta master

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
John Rogers
Exporting from ProRes timeline for Digibeta master
on Jun 12, 2012 at 4:37:01 pm

Hi - thanks in advance for taking the time to read this.

I'm delivering a Digibeta master copy of my documentary for a festival screening.
I'll be getting the digibeta transferred from a Quicktime.
I've cut the project in FCP on a ProRess 422HQ timeline from multiple formats (XDCam, DV, HDV, HD).
The film is 75 mins long.

I'm just wondering which would be the best export settings for the QT to transfer onto Digibeta.
If I export as self-contained QT this comes out as ProRes and is around 105GB. I've only seen this on a monitor so have no idea how it'll hold up when transferred.

The other option I can think of is an Uncompressed QT (8 or 10 bit I'm not sure) - but have no idea how big that will be or if I need to change from ProRes.

Any thoughts or advice you have on this are greatly appreciated

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Exporting from ProRes timeline for Digibeta master
on Jun 12, 2012 at 4:59:19 pm

HOW are you getting this output onto Digibeta? You are giving the file to someone to do this for you, no? WHy not ask them what they want...instead of asking us?

If I were doing this for you, I'd want a full res file...I'd have you export a Quicktime Movie, self contained. Then I'd output via my AJA Kona 3...have it downconvert the footage via hardware to SD, and record onto Digibeta.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

John Rogers
on Jun 12, 2012 at 5:29:47 pm

Thanks for your thoughts Shane. Somebody is doing it for me but they don't have a preference. Just came on here because people often tried various options. Thanks again

Return to posts index

Steve Eisen
on Jun 12, 2012 at 10:33:39 pm

[John Rogers] "Somebody is doing it for me but they don't have a preference"

They should. Do what shane suggests. This will give you the best quality for Digibeta.

Steve Eisen
Eisen Video Productions
Vice President
Chicago Creative Pro Users Group

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Jun 12, 2012 at 10:33:53 pm

I presume your sequence is 1920 x 1080. I would export a self contained QT file using current settings.

Next issue is the downconvert to SD. That is best done via a Kona card in real time as you playout to digi beta. FCP does crap scaling so don't use it to downconvert the SD. Compressor does a better downconvert but make sure you turn frame controls on and resize to best, Slow but produces a better result.

Return to posts index

John Rogers
on Jun 12, 2012 at 11:32:03 pm

Great - thanks for all the help. Much appreciated

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]