FORUMS: list search recent posts

PAL footage MP4 Data Rate Discrepancy

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Matt Taylor
PAL footage MP4 Data Rate Discrepancy
on Jun 11, 2012 at 10:50:54 pm

Hello,

We received some PAL footage (I'm in America) compressed at MPEG-4 (Perian). When played back it's pixelated and interlaced. When I drag the clip into FCP's 6.0.6) browser (I know it needs to be transcoded from MP4 - just wanted to see specs) it tells me that it has a data rate of 2.0 MB/s and a frame rate of 29.97 (converting to NTSC automatically maybe?).

HOWEVER...

When I open with Quicktime X the inspector tells me its data rate is 16.57 Mbit/s and frame rate is 25 fps.

The image looks the same in both QT and FCP, however, FCP gives me a "General Error" when I try to render/playback. (Still frames look the same).

I'm confused.

Also, this file takes a good while to open in both programs. I'm trying to open in Compressor right now but at the moment it is not responding.

Any ideas?

I was going to ask for a new export with ProRes 422 (HQ) with a data rate of 220 Mbit/s, but I wan't make sure that would work first, if possible.

I've asked for the native footage and for some reason they are resisting that (scares me in to thinking they don't have it - I know my hands might be tied if that is the case).

Thank you in advance!

PS: The goal is to edit with this footage.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: PAL footage MP4 Data Rate Discrepancy
on Jun 12, 2012 at 6:13:24 pm

[Matt Taylor] "I was going to ask for a new export with ProRes 422 (HQ) with a data rate of 220 Mbit/s, but I wan't make sure that would work first, if possible."

A new export is a very good idea, but HQ really isn't necessary. You'll be just fine with ProRes 422 -- it can withstand 6 generations of re-rendering before image degradation becomes visible -- and the file sizes are smaller.

Pretty neat, eh?

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Matt Taylor
Re: PAL footage MP4 Data Rate Discrepancy
on Jun 12, 2012 at 6:44:15 pm

Indeed! Thanks Dave!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved