FORUMS: list search recent posts

Tricky Transfer from Premiere Pro CS5 to FCP 6.0.5 - PAL

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
John Breslin
Tricky Transfer from Premiere Pro CS5 to FCP 6.0.5 - PAL
on Jun 11, 2012 at 10:30:17 pm

Hi there,

I work on a volunteer-made music show for Dublin Community Television. The first episode of our last season is here: https://vimeo.com/32291228 and we recently kicked off season 2 with this: https://vimeo.com/42802300

The shoot for this show was very stressful because of a codec issue.

The show goes out at 11pm and the studio shoot begins at 4pm on the day. We shoot studio links, interviews, blue screen and a performance on 3 remote cameras mixed using a Broadcast Pix Slate 1000. These videos are cut with VTs, generally .movs or .mp4s, edited elsewhere. A lot of them with H264 encoding.

On our last show, we tried to ingest a 1280 x 720 .mp4 VT in to FCP that was exported from Premiere Pro using H264 encoding. This process worked fine last season, it just took roughly 15 minutes of rendering and played out fine on the 720 x 576 anamorphic DV PAL timeline. This time it didn't even recognise the file. I tried re-encoding it through compressor and MPEG Streamclip in myriad ways but the best I could get was what occurs at 00:23 in this text export video I tried on the day to make it sure it wasn't just FCP playback that was giving the weird trails: https://vimeo.com/43860371(password: dctv).

The footage was shot on an EX-1 and a 60D. I suspect this is where the gremlins lie? I really need to get round it though as the interview footage I have for this VT is already shot on a 60D. This can be changed for the remaining 4 shows in season 2 but we don't have time our resources to reshoot for Thursday's show.

I'm in the studio now troubleshooting for this Thursday's show and came armed with a DV PAL encoded version of the VT from Premiere Pro CS5 (surely this HAS to work, it plays in VLC on the PC beside me!) as well as the the same old .mp4 as usual (just in case.. it was from a different Premiere suite!!)

The mp4 won't ingest to FCP and, get this, the DV PAL version won't even transfer on to the G5 from the external drive. It fails right at the end of the 2.26 gb transfer saying the file can't be 'read or written': 'error code -36'.

So.. WHAT AM I GONNA DO!? Play it out to DV tape using a HDV camera from Premiere Pro and recapture to FCP? Will that work?

That's the best I can think of but would prefer not to have to go tape. Any codec solutions out there?

Thanks if anyone can help, otherwise I hope you enjoyed an insight in to the crazy world of massively under resourced but fun community media!

John.

Return to posts index

John Breslin
Re: Tricky Transfer from Premiere Pro CS5 to FCP 6.0.5 - PAL
on Jun 13, 2012 at 1:50:22 pm

Has anyone any ideas?

I tried capturing to tape today and all it captured from Premiere was a black screen with no audio..

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]