FORUMS: list search recent posts

Merged Clip creation?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Matt Campbell
Merged Clip creation?
on Jun 9, 2012 at 2:41:10 pm

I have a very large project with bad camera audio and good external audio. Trying to sync with Plural Eyes is useless. Getting multiple errors and wrong audio to picture. So I've reverted to manual sync via timecode from clapper (visual, because no timecode from camera) and timecode from external audio.

I'm doing these clip by clip in the timeline, which sucks, but since plural in unreliable, we've resorted to the tried and true method. So in my timeline of anywhere from 80-100 clips, will I be able to create a merged clip deleting camera audio and linking external audio to camera video by simply selecting new clip in timeline and dragging that into the browser? Rather than setting the IN and OUT in the browser and merging the clips via the Modify menu.

Is this essentially the same method?

Shane/Jeremy, if your out there, I could really use your help. Or anyone else for that matter.
thx

OS 10.6.7, Mac Pro 2 x 3 ghz quad-core intel xenon, 4 gb ram and AJA IoHD

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Merged Clip creation?
on Jun 9, 2012 at 9:16:38 pm

You don't do this in the timeline. You do this in the Browser. Finding the sync point (slate clap), and marking IN on both, then grouping.

Yes, you have to do this one at a time. Welcome to the world of old fashioned post, where magic buttons that do it all automatically don't exist.

(Sorry. I roll my eyes when people complain that they might actually need to work at things. Do things manually. That things take time. They do sometimes. Sometimes you have to work hard to get things right. No one said post was easy. If they did, they lied.)

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Matt Campbell
on Jun 9, 2012 at 11:29:32 pm

Shane, as always, thank you. However another colleague sent this to me.

http://www.peachpit.com/articles/article.aspx?p=1398771&seqNum=11

So I guess you can merge clips from the timeline, but only after deleting the camera audio and linking the new audio to the video clip and dragging into the browser. And after doing this and double clicking to load into viewer, I hit command option F for match frame and it reveals the video is linked to the new audio file.

huh, that is hugely helpful. the only thing is using the browser, it actually then gets a "merged clip" label to it. the timeline method does not. but I'm not opposed to the other method as well. I agree, if this was easy, everyone would be doing it. thx for the help.

OS 10.6.7, Mac Pro 2 x 3 ghz quad-core intel xenon, 4 gb ram and AJA IoHD

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Jun 9, 2012 at 11:32:55 pm

With FCP there's always 2 or 3 ways to accomplish things. And I don't always know all of them. This looks like a decent solution

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Nick Meyers
on Jun 10, 2012 at 11:28:12 am

nothing wrong with syncing rushes in the timeline.
i prefer it, as i can check & slip sync (if needed) before i link / merge.
and as you mention, you get to delete the camera audio if you don't want it

it's rather repetitive work, of course, but i use QuicKeys to run a string of shortcuts for me.
if you don't have that, or some other macro app, they can take some time to program.
probably not worth it for one short job.

after syncing all the clips, i go though and link audio & video.
rather than drag to a new bin, i tend to copy / paste.
dragging can sometimes start a "Creating New Master Clip" process that can take forever.

nick

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]