FORUMS: list search recent posts

Combine footage Canon 7D with SONY HXR-NX5E PRO HD

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Pieter De Saeger
Combine footage Canon 7D with SONY HXR-NX5E PRO HD
on Jun 9, 2012 at 2:14:53 pm

Hi folks,

I'm shooting a documentary for the moment. Because of the budget, I have two cameras to work with: the Canon 7D and the SONY HXR-NX5E PRO HD.
To get my footage from de 7D, it's pretty easy. I just copy the .MOV-files from the flashcard to my hard disk.
But to get the footage from the Sony, it's a little bit more complicated. It's on a little flashcard of 32 GB. When I look to the footage in the Finder (Mac), it's about 30 GB of .MTS-files. To work with those files in Final Cut Pro, I have to 'Log And Transfer' them to Final Cut Pro. When I do this, the footage suddenly is about 110 GB!? Is this normal?...

+

I want to combine the footages of the both cameras. But in Final Cut Pro, I see the Sony-footage is in Apple ProRess 422 & the 7D-footage is in h.264. What to do to get along easy with this footage in FCP?

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Combine footage Canon 7D with SONY HXR-NX5E PRO HD
on Jun 9, 2012 at 8:31:11 pm

Uh, dude, you need to do a little research before you start editing. You cannot edit the H264 files the 7D in FCP. Not without serious problems. H264 isn't an editing codec. It needs to be converted to ProRes as well. There is a log and transfer plugin for this as well. Do a search for my tapeless workflow in FCP 7, I have a link for it there. Plus it is a tutorial you really should watch.

Yes, the ProRes files are bigger. They are editing codecs that are very high quality. So if you wan to use FCP for this, you'll need to use ProRes (H264 native will give you major headaches), and you'll need more drive space.

Or, if you want to cut native, even with huge Sony AVCHD camera, look at Adobe Premiere CS6. Mind you, working native requires fast processors, lots of RAM, and a major graphics card. Either that, or convert to edit friendly codec and use FCP.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]