FORUMS: list search recent posts

Nesting vs. copy & paste

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chris Babbitt
Nesting vs. copy & paste
on Jun 8, 2012 at 5:24:11 pm

Is there going to be any difference between copying and pasting the contents of a sequence into another sequence vs. just loading that sequence into the viewer and dropping it into the new sequence, in terms of output quality?

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Nesting vs. copy & paste
on Jun 8, 2012 at 8:36:24 pm

Quality? No. Pain-in-the-ass factor? Yes. Nesting is evil. Nesting needs to be avoided at all costs. It causes more issues than it solves. Copy and paste, for the love of god.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Aeolan Kelly
Re: Nesting vs. copy & paste
on Jun 11, 2012 at 9:51:16 pm

There is no difference in the quality of your export. As far as nesting creating problems, that depends on the length and complexity of your timeline, and what you're going to do with it afterwards.

In my experience, there are times when nesting is very helpful, and speeds up my workflow immensely, particularly when I've worked in on-air promos with projects for regular clients. However, the way editors organize their projects is very subjective.

For the most part, I'm inclined to agree with Shane Ross that it can cause issues. Usually though, I've found that those problems are more of an organizational nature than anything else. My biggest peeve about nests is that if you have to add length to them, you have to copy and paste the entire nest (or its contents) into a new sequence, lengthen them there, and re-paste it back into the main timeline. Not always, it's just easier if you have loads of overlapping cuts and video tracks.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]