FORUMS: list search recent posts

Decklink 1080i output / Edit to Tape issue

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jeremy Edney
Decklink 1080i output / Edit to Tape issue
on Jun 8, 2012 at 3:21:57 pm

Editing 1080i60 and "Edit to Tape" is not working. Using a BM Decklink HD Extreme. Timeline settings are 1080i/29.97 (accounting for fields/frames), playback settings are Blackmagic HD 1080i/59.94 10-bit (1920 x 1080). We get signal and audio to the deck during edit and we can crash record without any issues but TC accuracy is a must on this output. Long story short, when we try and output using ETT, the tape cues, begins rolling, then rolls right past the IN point without starting to record. ...can't figure out why we have signal and everything looks good, right up until we try and use ETT to output the sequence and then the signal disappears and deck won't record. Deck settings look good for 1080i with 59.94 REF coming in from the AJA Gen-10... any thoughts?

Thanks,
Jeremy

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
Re: Decklink 1080i output / Edit to Tape issue
on Jun 9, 2012 at 1:46:59 pm

Do you have the right drivers. Blackmagic and AJA have more recent drivers that are for Lion & FCPX so if you automatically use the latest drivers you may have issue with FCP legacy. Make sure you have the appropriate drivers for the FCP version & OS.

Sound like the serial control is not working properly. Check that the cables carrying ref video are good to both the card and the deck. Not sure if Decklink outputs timecode via RP188 but if it does you can set the deck to take code via SDI and crash record with accurate code

Return to posts index

Joseph Owens
on Jun 9, 2012 at 3:14:52 pm

[Jeremy Edney] "when we try and output using ETT, the tape cues, begins rolling, then rolls right past the IN point without starting to record."

I've been editing to tape for 37 years, the last 6 with a combination of AJA and Blackmagic with FCP5,6,7, MC6, and I have never seen this behaviour, with or without external sync.

Your methodology?

I record a minute of black at the beginning of each tape (minimum) or stripe black for the entire length of the tape, with either 01HR or 10HR time code. Enter ETT module and choose appropriate "IN"/"OUT" points on both the ETT module and the sequence that is to be exported. Assemble or Insert as required, with the appropriate "Regen" status on the target VTR.

I am on record in various fora as not being at all fond of FCP's ETT, but it can be made to work.

Recently, a client of mine had an issue where they eventually discovered a hidden radio button that ETT contains, that will prevent video from being output from the Decklink when performing Assemble edits. Seems unbelievable to me ("Inconceivable!", in Sicilian), but that's Apple for you.

jPo

You mean "Old Ben"? Ben Kenobi?

Return to posts index

Jeremy Edney
on Jun 11, 2012 at 2:41:03 pm

Hey guys,

Thanks for the input. Check this out... we figured out that the Blackmagic “device control preset” for 720p 59.94 defaults to the Panasonic RS422 protocol but the 1080i 59.94 preset is defaulted to use the Sony RS422 protocol. Who knew? Since our deck is Panasonic we changed the 1080i preset to use the Panasonic protocol instead of the Sony protocol and... bingo!

Honestly, until this issue came up I've never once looked at the "device control preset editor" in the a/v settings "device control presets" tab but there it is when you "duplicate" a setting!

Thanks!

Thanks,
Jeremy

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]