FORUMS: list search recent posts

RE: FCP 7 back up solutions

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
james mitchell
RE: FCP 7 back up solutions
on Jun 7, 2012 at 8:29:24 pm

Hi guys. Just wondering what people use as a back up solution for FCP 7. I have tones of media on a 12 TB G speed Q Archive drive, and if it got lost/stolen/wet etc, my whole business would crumble. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: RE: FCP 7 back up solutions
on Jun 7, 2012 at 8:41:45 pm

I back up the project file, all the picture and music files, and archive the camera masters. I don't back up ALL the media used in a project. I will media manage/consolidate to just the assets used in a show at times. Because when I keep the camera masters and master tapes, and the project file, I can re-ingest the footage if needed.

Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
Re: RE: FCP 7 back up solutions
on Jun 8, 2012 at 2:17:29 pm

Standard practice would be to mirror that existing drive offsite someplace secure. You could rent space in "the cloud" from one of many vendors including Amazon, and have your system upload daily additions and changes in an overnight, automated process, like banks and other businesses do. Myself, I don't trust the cloud yet.

I would do two things: Burn master copies off to BluRay archival disks, and buy another drive. I would buy another physical drive and have my office and home machines FTP to each other in the background. If your office IS in your home, well, having the two drives in the same place is better than not having a backup drive at all... and if the idea of drive failure is your main worry, it might be enough... but if the two drives are co-located, anything like a lightning strike, flood, fire, tornado, home invasion, etc. is likely to take out both resources at once. It would be far more secure to put the data vault physically in a different building, or at least inside some kind of physical vault, with suitable protections.

Well, yes, I did hear you just say "but that costs money". This is a cost of doing business in a serious, professional way. Like buying insurance for the camera gear and business, and having spares for the most critical parts of your gear. It's a cost of doing business and you should be factoring this into your billings and charging it off to your clients.

Or you can do like the school kids working out of mom's basement: charge too little and have absolutely no plan to handle anything bad that happens. And it DOES happen. Cameras fail. Hard drives Fail. Computers fail. People mess up and accidenally erase files. Stuff happens. When it happens to a pro, nobody knows about it, because he has a plan in place to deal with it.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 All Rights Reserved