<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
stu aull
My exported FCP :60 only come out :48 sec?! - frame rate change made
on Jun 7, 2012 at 7:39:06 pm

So: FCP7, 60sec 23.97 1080p ad
export to
29.97 frame rate (no other changes):
-only renders out to 48sec mark!

I suspect the frame rate change is causing this, tho what DOES render plays fine, but damned if I can figure out what to reset to allow the WHOLE ad to render its full length?!

conversion works fine in QT 7 pro.
odd....

Stu Aull
Alaska

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: My exported FCP :60 only come out :48 sec?! - frame rate change made
on Jun 7, 2012 at 7:49:11 pm

Sounds like you really DO need to brush up on your frame rates!

Yeah, to get 23.976 footage to 29.97 1080i, you need to add 3:2 pulldown. It's nothing new: they've been using that trick to spread 24 frames across 30 frames for decades -- it's how they can show movies on TV.

I know how to do it in After Effects, but I'll be darned if I know how in FCP or Compressor.

PS: you should google the term 3:2 pulldown. The folks at Arri used to have the most easily-understood explanation of what happening.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Jun 7, 2012 at 8:07:56 pm

What is the codec of the source footage? You didn't work with H.264 native on the FCP timeline did you? That does this, plus other unpredictable things.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

stu aull
on Jun 8, 2012 at 3:43:13 am

Hi Shane-
ProRes 442 HD 23.98 - trying to re-frame-rate to 29.97. Which it DOES (FCP>Export>ProRes- with appropriate change in FPS) - so I _AM_ getting the 29.97 but only first 48 seconds.
weird.

Like I said - QT7 Pro did the conversion (thanks Gawd) but really stumped as to why FCP would do this.

Stu Aull

Return to posts index

stu aull
on Jun 8, 2012 at 3:44:33 am

Dave-
I am converting 23.98P to 29.97 _P_ , not _i_
FWIW

Stu

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Jun 8, 2012 at 2:29:34 pm

To go to 1080p 24 to 1080p 29.97, you can use Compressor in a pinch, but it's better to use frame rate conversion software like Re:Vision's Twixtor.

But you need to know that broadcast 1080 is interlaced, upper field first, so you could just do the 3:2 pulldown if you wanted, and it would be just fine.

It's like shooting 30p on an old DV camera: ever do that? It was SD video, and the spec called for two fields. So how's that done?

The camera captures ond complete frame at the same instant, and simply recorded it as two fields. This differs from interlaced scan where the camera would capture one field and record it, then capture the other field and record it -- the two fields making up the frame are slightly separated in time.

The same thing holds true for the preponderance of 1080 cameras today. They do preogessive scan like those old DV cameras did.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Jun 8, 2012 at 3:54:10 am

Well, you are doing it wrong. That is not how you export to a different frame rate. You need to export a self contained file, then take that into COMPRESSOR and change the frame rate.

By the way...23.98 to 30p will not look all that good. Because you cannot distribute...create...extra frames by adding fields of video. meaning one frame distributed to 3 fields (1.5 frames) of video. 23.98 to 29.97 interlaced looks great. 23.98 to 29.97 progressive? Not so much. every 4th frame is duplicated...exactly what FCP does when you add 24p to 29.97.

If you want it to look good, you have to make the output 29.97 interlaced. Unless this is destined for the web or computers, then why are you converting to 29.97?

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

stu aull
on Jun 8, 2012 at 4:23:19 am

:)
yes, I knew I was doing it wrong... which is why I am here ;)
The 29.97 frame-rate was client-requested AFTER the shooting, so one does what one can! Will give Compressor a go to see how it looks. thanks.

But your point makes me wonder if its not better to shoot 29.97P then if someone wants 23.98 it would make more sense to PULL a frame rather than cover up for missing ones going Up the Other Way??

Thanks for your guidance. Lots to Learn...

Stu Aull
Alaska

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Jun 8, 2012 at 10:44:34 am

[stu aull] "But your point makes me wonder if its not better to shoot 29.97P then if someone wants 23.98 it would make more sense to PULL a frame rather than cover up for missing ones going Up the Other Way??"
Not really.
Adding the proper pull down will look as the original stuff, because you are just repeating "fields'. The other way around will drop full frames. Will look more choppy than shot at 29,976.
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

jerry wise
on Jun 8, 2012 at 3:14:54 pm

somewhere out there in the forum is a link to a droplet you can use to add pulldown to your project. make a QT of your project, load it into compressor, add the pulldown droplet and the output will time out properly your client will be happy. i use it all the time and it works great for me.

Return to posts index

stu aull
on Jun 8, 2012 at 7:56:29 pm

aaak Jerry! don't SAY that without a link! torture!
;D

Rafael - re 29.97 pull down - thanks! makes sense as described. so 23.98 it is then.
really appreciate the hand-holding here guys!

regards
Stu Aull
Alaska

Return to posts index

Jeffrey Di Lullo
on Jun 10, 2012 at 8:59:01 pm

I don't remember which thread it was on the cow that I pulled these from (if someone can find the orignal thread please post it), but here are the compressor presets to create a ProRes file with correct pulldown.

4267_proreswithpulldown.zip

They need to placed in:

~/Library/Application Support/Compressor

Once there make sure the restart Compressor (if it was already open).

Good luck!

Jeffrey Di Lullo
jeffedits.com

Return to posts index

stu aull
on Jun 10, 2012 at 10:13:21 pm

Thanks Jeff!

will try these out
cheers
Stu Aull
Alaska

Return to posts index

Jeffrey Di Lullo
on Jun 10, 2012 at 10:19:09 pm

No problem! I've used these to deliver a TV spot that was shot in 720p23.98pN (HVX200) which needed to be delivered in 29.97. It worked like a charm. Just to remind you this preset will create an interlaced video file.

jd

Jeffrey Di Lullo
jeffedits.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]