FORUMS: list search recent posts

suddenly getting out of memory errors

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Herb Sevush
suddenly getting out of memory errors
on Jun 7, 2012 at 4:00:47 pm

I need some help here. Older Mac 1.1., Dual Core 2.66, 12 GB Memory. Suddenly I'm not able to render in FCP without getting "out of memory" errors. I've trashed preferences, repaired permissions. Playing with the System Settings, Memory and Cache settings, no matter what I set the Stills Cache to, an error message comes up saying "Unable to allocate memory for RT Still Cache. Still Images will not appear in real time." I started out with Stills Cache at 10%, have tried 5, 15 and 20% all get the same error. I have application memory set to 80%, have tried it variously at 100, 90, 75 & 70%.

Any suggestions?

Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions
---------------------------
nothin' attached to nothin'
"Deciding the spine is the process of editing" F. Bieberkopf

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
Re: suddenly getting out of memory errors
on Jun 7, 2012 at 5:35:33 pm

If you look at those memory settings, it's asking how to divide up the maximum 4 gigs it can use. With 12gigs, put it at 100%.

But your problem is probably just a still larger than 4000 pixels in one dimension.

Return to posts index

Herb Sevush
on Jun 7, 2012 at 5:55:38 pm

[Bret Williams] "With 12gigs, put it at 100%. But your problem is probably just a still larger than 4000 pixels in one dimension."

I've reset memory to 100% and yes, the still is in a motion project, and it is too large, but something else is going on. Why does the setting for Stills Cache give me error messages no matter what size I set it to?

Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Jun 7, 2012 at 6:11:07 pm

I thought Motion could handle that no problem. But if you're using FCP to render the motion project maybe you're stuck with the FCP rules. I don't do roundtrip to Motion. In my experience it takes 10 times longer to render, and then of course it comes unrendered if you accidentally change opacity, put something over / under it, trim it, etc. Doesn't Motion use the GPU and Mutiprocessing to render?

Return to posts index

Herb Sevush
on Jun 7, 2012 at 6:17:25 pm

[Bret Williams] "Doesn't Motion use the GPU and Mutiprocessing to render?"

I don't know. I do know Motion renders are as slow as you say, but I like the back and forth between the aps for making revisions easier to deal with. I think part of my problem might be a flaky GFX card, a friend suggested i run it in a slower PCIe slot, drop it down to 8 lanes, and that has made the system more stable. But I still don't know why I'm getting the error message in the stills cache.

Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions

Return to posts index

Joseph Hung
on Jun 8, 2012 at 1:09:18 am

I think Brett is right: check to make sure your stills are at the right dimensions.

Return to posts index

Nayeli Garci-Crespo
on Jun 14, 2012 at 1:14:39 am

I'm suddenly having this same exact problem, but I know it is not my file dimensions as they are TIFFs at 1920x1080 and they are the exact same files I used about a month ago. Same project, same files, new problem.

Two of my RAM modules died, though, so I'm thinking it might have something to do with my RAM configuration.

Have you had any RAM changes lately?

-Nayeli

Return to posts index

Herb Sevush
on Jun 14, 2012 at 2:29:21 pm

[Nayeli Garci-Crespo] "Two of my RAM modules died, though, so I'm thinking it might have something to do with my RAM configuration."

No ram changes, but I think my GFX card is on the way out. I've put in a new GFX card and so far no more error messages.

Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions

Return to posts index

Nayeli Garci-Crespo
on Jun 14, 2012 at 1:20:17 am

Plus, as Herb says, reallocating memory should have nothing to do with any specific still image in a project.

-Nayeli

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]