FORUMS: list search recent posts

Close ups done when editing in FCP

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brad Fleming
Close ups done when editing in FCP
on Jun 6, 2012 at 2:45:09 pm

I am editing in FCP 7. When I have a clip in timeline and I am watching on Canvas (on the right) I can grab the handles and enlarge. When I do I get a little distortion. Is this the correct way to do this? If so, is there a way to eliminate the distortion. What I am doing is a freeze frame sequence, one I freeze I blow up the frozen frame and go to black and white. You can see vid here and tell me what you think.

Freeze frame starts around 34 seconds.

Thanks for any help and input.

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
Re: Close ups done when editing in FCP
on Jun 6, 2012 at 3:08:12 pm

When you scale using the grab handles, holding down the shift key keeps the scaling proportional.

I looked at your sample.

If I could make a suggestion, those stills are hard to look at because they are all muddy. When you pick the frame to still a guy on, freeze/export that still into photoshop. Duplicate it into layers, enhance the contrast. Cut the guy out of the top layer, add a gaussian blur to the under-layer.export the psd file or a tiff version with alpha preserved, back into FCP preserving all the layers.

Now, if you make it B&W or keep it color or tint it, you have faked the tight depth-of-field "look" of a still photo shot, which was what I believe you were going for there...

Putting a subtle zoom-in and/or pan move on the top layer cut-out of the guy, when it's back in FCP, adds some extra "zazz". Make just the background layer B&W, and the guy in color... You could also strip out the top layer and lay it over white or black or a gradient or completely different backdrop for the fake still composite. None of this is really that much work to do.

Looks like a fun project to work on, best of luck.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 All Rights Reserved