FORUMS: list search recent posts

Close ups done when editing in FCP

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brad Fleming
Close ups done when editing in FCP
on Jun 6, 2012 at 2:45:09 pm

I am editing in FCP 7. When I have a clip in timeline and I am watching on Canvas (on the right) I can grab the handles and enlarge. When I do I get a little distortion. Is this the correct way to do this? If so, is there a way to eliminate the distortion. What I am doing is a freeze frame sequence, one I freeze I blow up the frozen frame and go to black and white. You can see vid here and tell me what you think.

https://vimeo.com/43439624

Freeze frame starts around 34 seconds.

Thanks for any help and input.

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
Re: Close ups done when editing in FCP
on Jun 6, 2012 at 3:08:12 pm

When you scale using the grab handles, holding down the shift key keeps the scaling proportional.

I looked at your sample.

If I could make a suggestion, those stills are hard to look at because they are all muddy. When you pick the frame to still a guy on, freeze/export that still into photoshop. Duplicate it into layers, enhance the contrast. Cut the guy out of the top layer, add a gaussian blur to the under-layer.export the psd file or a tiff version with alpha preserved, back into FCP preserving all the layers.

Now, if you make it B&W or keep it color or tint it, you have faked the tight depth-of-field "look" of a still photo shot, which was what I believe you were going for there...

Putting a subtle zoom-in and/or pan move on the top layer cut-out of the guy, when it's back in FCP, adds some extra "zazz". Make just the background layer B&W, and the guy in color... You could also strip out the top layer and lay it over white or black or a gradient or completely different backdrop for the fake still composite. None of this is really that much work to do.

Looks like a fun project to work on, best of luck.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]