source and destination files on separate drives

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
geert van asbrouck
source and destination files on separate drives
on Jun 6, 2012 at 11:18:43 am

Hello,
As Im completely new to this forum, so here's my 1st question:
I'm working with FCP 6.0.6, and I'm quite new to FCP. I understand that, ideally, source and destination folders should be on separate hard drives, connected with Firewire; I suppose that has to do with speed and speed control.
I have two external hard drives, both Firewire 800/400 or USB; but I only have 1 FW800 port on my mac , and several FW400 and USB ports (my mac is an 4x2,5GGHz PowerPC G5 with 1,5 Gb DDR SD2 Ram, running on MacOS X 10.4.11, so not so recent anymore).
My question: What is the best solution in my case:
-keep source and destination file on the 2 separate drives, connected both to 1 port FW800 (daisy chain, slower speed if bith used together?)
-keep source and destination file on the 2 separate drives, 1 connected to FW800 and 1 to FW400 (or USB?), in this case which one should I connect to the FW800: source or destination?
-Put source qnd destinqtion folder on 1 drive; connected t FW800?
Thanks for your time,
Geert

Return to posts index

Thomas Morter-Laing
Re: source and destination files on separate drives
on Jun 7, 2012 at 8:15:41 am

I'm working with FCP 6.0.6, and I'm quite new to FCP.

Start learning Avid- FCP is dead to me after FCPX.

I understand that, ideally, source and destination folders should be on separate hard drives, connected with Firewire; I suppose that has to do with speed and speed control. It's more to do with your scratch (source)- when you edit you are seeking that stuff rapidly and repeatedly, so that's the main thing to have in an external location. I assume by 'destination' you're talking about exports/encodes, in which case theyre not really the concern. I mean, keep them organised, but unless you're exporting a version every 10 minutes, dont worry too much.

I have two external hard drives, both Firewire 800/400 or USB; but I only have 1 FW800 port on my mac , and several FW400 and USB ports (my mac is an 4x2,5GGHz PowerPC G5 with 1,5 Gb DDR SD2 Ram, running on MacOS X 10.4.11, so not so recent anymore).

I know there are budget constraints, but that really is quite old now- if you have any ability to at all, I would suggest upgrading anything (whether it's OS, FCP or most importantly hardware.

My question: What is the best solution in my case:
-Put source qnd destinqtion folder on 1 drive; connected to FW800?

Do that one. Although someone will probably now correct me...

Tom Morter-Laing
Twitter- @TomTheEditor
iMac 27" intel i7 3.4GHz, 12GB RAM, ATI HD 6970M [2GB GDDR5], 2x G-Tech G-RAID (0) 2TB over Thunderbolt via Sonnet Echo ExpressCard/34 Thunderbolt adapter and Tempo™ SATA ExpressCard/34. Elgato Turbo H264HD.

Return to posts index

geert van asbrouck
Re: source and destination files on separate drives
on Jun 29, 2012 at 9:05:58 pm

Sorry for responding so late,
but thanks for the clear response.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]