FORUMS: list search recent posts

Final Cut Pro 7 - Exporting Issues

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Matthew Marchesi
Final Cut Pro 7 - Exporting Issues
on Jun 5, 2012 at 8:04:25 pm

Hey folks.

I'm having some trouble exporting from FCP 7. I want the end result to be an MP4 file, with crystal clarity, which I can't seem to get. I can get a good quality .mov file, and usually I can convert those to MP4 with quicktime flawlessly, but the last 2 projects I've worked on, I have to try a ton of different settings and it's such a time waster converting videos to find good settings.

The first project of the last two I referred to, I eventually found out that having different video dimensions was why I couldn't get a decent quality export. Once I converted all of the videos to the same dimensions and dropped them into FC, the exports were fine. Having learned that lesson, I am now recording all of my screenshots at 2560 x 1440.

One thing I noticed is that the screen recordings (made using Quicktime) all have different frame rates, usually between 19 and 26 FPS. I'm not certain this could be an issue, as I can get a clear export to .mov, but then using Quicktime Pro 7 to convert to MP4, it gets pretty blurry.

However, I still can't get a decent export. Any thoughts or tips on what I can do? My settings are below.

The original files I'm dropping into FCP have these settings.

Original Screenshot:

Dimensions: 2560 × 1440
Codecs: H.264, AAC
Color profile: HD (1-1-1)
Total bit rate: Fluctuates between 1,439 (lowest) and 2865 (highest)
FPS: variable (19-26 fps)

Most of the exports from FCP have the first settings, the second (named) video has almost the same, except for the dimensions.

.mov Exports from FCP:

Dimensions: 1280 × 720
Codecs: H.264, Linear PCM, Timecode
Total bit rate: 2,284
FPS: 59.94

Name: Test 6 Video
Codecs: H.264, Linear PCM, Timecode
Total bit rate: 5,939
FPS: 24

Most of the Quicktime Pro .mov to .mp4 conversion codecs are AAC & H.264, though a few also say Hint, whatever that means.

MP4 Conversion From Quicktime Pro:

Name: Test 6 Video
Codecs: AAC, H.264
Total bit rate: 2,437
FPS: 24

If I have left anything out or anyone needs more info, please let me know.

Thanks,

~Matt

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Final Cut Pro 7 - Exporting Issues
on Jun 5, 2012 at 8:21:01 pm

You are using FCP to do something it isn't designed to do. You are trying to edit screen captures in the H.264 codec with varying frame rates. FCP doesn't do this. FCP is designed to edit broadcast formats...broadcast resolutions and broadcast frame rates. And it doesn't like working with H.264 at all. It might SEEM like it does at first, but then export...or edit a lot of it...bammmo! Issues.

You should be using a different app to edit this. Screenflow. Adobe Premiere would even be better.

Now, that being said...if you can export a good looking MOV file, just open that in MPEG STREAMCLIP, and save it as an MP4. All that does is change the container...resolution should remain the same. I do this lots.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Matthew Marchesi
on Jun 5, 2012 at 8:27:26 pm

[Shane Ross] "if you can export a good looking MOV file, just open that in MPEG STREAMCLIP, and save it as an MP4. All that does is change the container...resolution should remain the same."

Thanks for the response Shane. Will this process cut shrink the file size at all? Is there a way to do afterwards? I will really need to shrink the file size down for these videos.

I'll give that a go in the mean time.

Thanks much for your response. I really appreciate your time.

~Matt

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Jun 5, 2012 at 8:47:25 pm

[Matthew Marchesi] "Will this process cut shrink the file size at all?"

No...just change the container. Wait, you want to COMPRESS it too? Make it a smaller file size, and MP4? Well, yeah, that will effect quality. You can't have crystal clear video at the same resolution as the full res version, AND have a small file size. You just have to find the largest file size you are OK in dealing with. Quality will suffer...sorry.

Use Compressor...or MPEG STREAMCLIP to convert the footage. Or Media Encoder...Sorenson...

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Matthew Marchesi
on Jun 5, 2012 at 9:14:19 pm

Compressor! Doh! Why didn't I think of that? God I feel stoopid right now.

Mpeg Streamclip worked perfectly though, it even cut about 175 MB off of the MP4 file. I can deal with a 15 minute video at 102 MB. The clarity suffered only a tiny bit. Much better than before when it was so blurry I couldn't make anything out.

Thanks a million Shane! Problem solved!

~Matt

Return to posts index

Ian Dallimore
on May 8, 2013 at 11:22:18 am

Hi matt,

im having similar problems, im getting fuzzy export with mp4's on h264 codec. did you manage to find a solution to your problem?

heres my recent post..

Hi all,

I'm trying to export an mp4 file from fcp (as this format is most compatible with our clients). However, i'm getting a really bad fuzziness and bad blending in tone.

I've created an animation in cinema 4d (a mov file with h264 compression) and ive edited it in fcp adding video transitions and still jpgs. I've matched the sequence settings with the main animation clip, Although i have tried exporting mp4's and mov files using a number of compressor codecs in the sequence settings and i think i have narrowed it down to being an issue with the h264 compression in the sequence settings as any mov file i export using a different sequence codec seems to be fine.

It gets especially bad where there are transparencies in my animation clip where i have faded objects in.

problem seems to be when i have both h264 as the codec in sequence settings combined with exporting mp4's. export settings are set to current and both the source clip and the sequence and export settings are 1920x1080. Data rate is 5120 kbps. audio/video settings are set to DV NTSC

HELP!
thanks, Ian

Return to posts index

Matthew Marchesi
on May 8, 2013 at 5:17:35 pm

Hi Ian,

Basically, I exported to .mov and then used MPEG Streamclip to convert. Worked fine for me. I also had the option of using Compressor, which I hadn't thought of at the time. You might want to give Compressor a shot.

Hope this helps, I'm definitely not one of the smartest folks around here, and if it doesn't, you may need to hit one of the geniuses up. :) Good luck.

~Matt

Return to posts index

Ian Dallimore
on May 9, 2013 at 9:04:56 am

Thanks matt, great idea.

I hadn't thought to use it either. I haven't used it yet as i have only been using fcp for a couple of months. Hopefully this will sort the issue!

Ian

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]