FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCP Out of Memory Error

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Trevor Ward
FCP Out of Memory Error
on Jun 5, 2012 at 6:36:46 pm

I know this has been posted before. But will "Motion" solve my problem with a Final Cut Pro shortcoming?

I've got a 15 minute sequence with some video and about 500 still JPGs. (Yes, they are all RGB and they are compressed but full size, 5124x3874 or whatever my DSLR spits out). Many of the pictures are scaled down to 20% to fit into the whole HD frame. Others are scaled 60% or show only a portion of the still. And others yet have keyframe zooms and pans. Don't give me that BS that FCP is only meant to handle HD video and can't handle dimensions above 4000 pixels in any given dimension. Because it CAN. It DOES. Just not with consistency. So in my sight, this is an inherent problem with FCP and therefore a shortcoming.

I have over 500 pictures. It's not an option for me to resize them all. I guess it IS an option, but it would take a day to do so and re-do all the scaling in FCP.

Can I export the sequence into Motion and let Motion export me a movie? Or, should I move to Adobe or Avid?

-trevor ward
Red Eye Film Co.
http://www.redeyefilmco.com
orlando, fl

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: FCP Out of Memory Error
on Jun 5, 2012 at 7:33:14 pm

[Trevor Ward] "Don't give me that BS that FCP is only meant to handle HD video and can't handle dimensions above 4000 pixels in any given dimension. Because it CAN. It DOES. Just not with consistency"

If it can't do it consistently then it can't do it. Unless a behavior is consistent, it can't be relied upon.

[Trevor Ward] "So in my sight, this is an inherent problem with FCP and therefore a shortcoming."

Yup...it is a shortcoming. So because of that, you need to look at other options.

Adobe will allow for larger than 4k stills. Avid...the PAN AND SCAN plugin should handle it too. But sending this to Motion, or After Effects will work. I do most of my still moves in AE if I need them to be large.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Jun 5, 2012 at 8:06:42 pm

BTW, re-sizing 500 stills takes about three to five minutes using a batch action in photoshop. Work smarter, not harder:-)

Return to posts index

Trevor Ward
on Jun 5, 2012 at 8:21:22 pm

Thank you for that suggestion. I understand that I can batch convert. In fact, I'd be going into Lightroom and re-exporting the stills out of Lightroom.

The problem is this: I have over 500 stills in my timeline, that are already set with keyframe movements based on scale. I will now have to go into each image and type new scale numbers. THAT will take some time. At this point, it may be my only option, as I think installing Adobe Premiere, importing the FCP sequence into it, finding everything that didn't translate properly, and making adjustments will probably take longer than re-scaling EVERY image in FCP. There are a lot of unknowns with this. Of course, just making small images has a lot of unknowns too, like, will this actually solve my problems by going to 3999x3999 images?

I really wish I knew this before starting this project. although I did this once before and had similar issues, I thought the issue was due to the file size of each still (about 16MB). This time around I had all my stills generated at less than 1MB.

-trevor ward
Red Eye Film Co.
orlando, fl

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Jun 5, 2012 at 8:25:41 pm

One big problem with FCP is that it allows you to do wrong things. Allows you to go down the wrong path...but then yells GOTCHA! at the end. That IS a big problem.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Trevor Ward
on Jun 5, 2012 at 8:39:45 pm

Actually Shane, that's exactly it! I think that's why I'm so frustrated. Because if I had dropped the file in and received a warning or even better, an error message, then I would not have done this 500 times and then expected it to work.

-trevor ward
Red Eye Film Co.
orlando, fl

Return to posts index

Trevor Ward
on Jun 6, 2012 at 10:04:59 pm

So I re-exported all the pictures from Lightroom at the new dimensions. Nothing over 3998 pixels. (BTW, using automator to create a batch resize doesn't work the same as going directly out of Lightroom. It increased the file size of each jpg image.)

I've now started adjusting the scale attribute and keyframes of all the stills. After an hour, I decided to render one of the more involved sections (meaning there are two images on the screen at the same time, but they only last 3 frames each. And guess what? Still getting Out of Memory Error. Ughhhh!!!!!!

-trevor ward
Red Eye Film Co.
orlando, fl

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]