FORUMS: list search recent posts

Best codec to export from FCP7 to Premiere CS5

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Alan Langdon
Best codec to export from FCP7 to Premiere CS5
on Jun 5, 2012 at 5:41:20 pm

I am color correcting footage in FCP7 and need to export a movie for the client to import into Premiere CS5 on a PC.
What is the best codec to preserve the quality of Apple ProRes 422 HQ timeline, and which will import fine into Premiere? I have heard of plugins to allow a PC running Premiere to recognize and import ProRes footage, but I can't seem to find conclusive answers nor the supposed plugin.
Would (gasp! heavy!) Animation codec be the best way to preserve quality?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Best codec to export from FCP7 to Premiere CS5
on Jun 5, 2012 at 5:52:06 pm

[Alan Langdon] "I have heard of plugins to allow a PC running Premiere to recognize and import ProRes footage, but I can't seem to find conclusive answers nor the supposed plugin."

That would be the latest version of QT Pro 7 for Windows. It'll read ProRes HQ -- even regular ProRes -- but nothing other than FCP-equipped machines can write to the ProRes family of codecs.

Avid's DNxHD currently is an excellent cross-platform codec. All the virtures of ProRes with the added benefit of working in both Mac Land and Win Land.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Alan Langdon
on Jun 5, 2012 at 6:20:27 pm

Thanks for the response.

Is the AVID DNxHD codec you mention available for dowload? I presume I would have to install it on my MAc and the client on his PC, correct?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Jun 5, 2012 at 6:29:56 pm

[Alan Langdon] "Is the AVID DNxHD codec you mention available for dowload? I presume I would have to install it on my MAc and the client on his PC, correct?"

Yes and yes. Both Mac and Win versions are someplace on Avid's Byzantine web site.

Oh, and did I mention that it's free? That's always nice.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]