FORUMS: list search recent posts

Final Cut is acting slow..

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Fernando Bobadilla
Final Cut is acting slow..
on Jun 5, 2012 at 4:24:12 am

My FCP playback is acting slow - and I have no idea what to think.. the footage comes out choppy when I view it in the preview screen..

Everything is getting transferred to external devices so I don't see the reason for slowness.]

Anyone with any tips, I would love to hear from you.

- F

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
Re: Final Cut is acting slow..
on Jun 5, 2012 at 4:48:05 am

Is your media and/or system drive over 80% full? Is anything rendering in b.g.? Do you have too many apps open for the amount of ram you have? Are you using a new codec? Have you tried trashing FCP permissions? Have you tried repairing permissions on system drive? Try disc warrior on media drive and or system drive (Back-up first).

MacPro4,1 2.66GHz 8 core 12gigs of ram. GPU: Nvidia Geoforce GT120 with Vram 512. OS X 10.6.x; Camcorders: Panasonic AG-HPX170, Sony Z7U, Canon HV30/40, Sony vx2000/PD170; FCP 6 certified; write professionally for a variety of media; teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

Fernando Bobadilla
on Jun 5, 2012 at 6:53:34 pm

I don't know what rendering in BG means.. My rendering bars are yellow before I render - every time I slightly move a clip, it creates this giant yellow render bar that i have to sit thru before editing again.. It's very annoying..

As to: "Are you using a new codec? Have you tried trashing FCP permissions? Have you tried repairing permissions on system drive?"

I started the session in HDV compressor in the sequence - but then realized I had to use Apple ProRess 422 because of the footage from my DSLR I'm using.

I don't know what FCP permissions are neither...

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Jun 6, 2012 at 5:07:54 am

[Fernando Bobadilla] "I started the session in HDV compressor in the sequence - but then realized I had to use Apple ProRess 422 because of the footage from my DSLR I'm using. "

Whoa - you're using DSLR footage? How did you convert that to ProRes? Sounds like you're just rendering your footage as ProRes. Doesn't sound like your footage IS ProRes. You can't use your DSLR footage in the timeline. Have to convert it to ProRes first. The footage is h.264 codec. Doesn't work.

And if you do need another drive, get one that has two ports on the back and daisy chain them.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Jun 5, 2012 at 5:30:16 pm

[Fernando Bobadilla] "Everything is getting transferred to external devices so I don't see the reason for slowness.]"

What kind of connection links the external drives to your computer? It should be firewire 800 at the very least.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Fernando Bobadilla
on Jun 5, 2012 at 6:54:10 pm

I have a 400 to 800 cord.

Thanks Dave

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Jun 5, 2012 at 7:50:16 pm

A firewire 400 to 800 is one reason for your problems. Such a connection can't supply the necessary data rate. It should be firewire 800 all the way.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Fernando Bobadilla
on Jun 5, 2012 at 8:39:36 pm

So, I'm thinking of going out and buying a 800 Firewire drive... Now, I have to transfer all of the progress I've had - any idea of how to do this?

I only have one Firewire port on my comp.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Jun 6, 2012 at 2:06:34 pm

The firewire port on your computer must also be firewire 800. If it isn't, you need a new computer to edit HD video.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

toddbunner
on Jun 27, 2012 at 6:04:10 am

Here are some suggestions to add to what others have said above;

Use ProRes Codec. Think about using separate drives for a) store footage on one drive, b) set cache/render settings on a separate drive. Buy faster hard drives (7200rpm minimum). Look into RAIDing two drives together for speed if needed.

If all else fails, get a better computer; processing speed and memory of MacPro > iMac or Macbook pro. (**astericks on the MacPro vs iMac, considering Apple hasn't updated their pro line in years and MacPro is still buzzing on SATA II when the new iMacs got SATA III capability, lol.)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]