FORUMS: list search recent posts

Replacing Over Exposed Sky

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brandt Kiesel
Replacing Over Exposed Sky
on Jun 4, 2012 at 10:33:30 pm

I've seen in these forums some talk about replacing an over exposed sky but usually they are part of a static shot or don't have characters crossing in front of the problem area. Does anyone have any suggestions how I could go about fixing a problem like the one in the video below? I use Motion 3 & 4 as well as FCP 6 & 7 (depending on what system I am on). Any help would be much appreciated. Oh yeah, I also have access to AE but I don't know much about the program.

http://reels.creativecow.net/film/over-exposed-sky

Over exposed sky

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Replacing Over Exposed Sky
on Jun 5, 2012 at 1:25:11 am

That's going to require a whole heck of a lot of ROTOSCOPING. Not for the faint hearted.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Ryan Holmes
Re: Replacing Over Exposed Sky
on Jun 5, 2012 at 1:36:53 am

Like Shane said, rotoscoping is your best bet. Given that you probably don't roto everyday I'd guess it'll take a couple of days to get through. You'll become very familiar with those 4 seconds!! You could do some roto in Motion, or AE.

You may try seeing if you could pull a luma key on that section. I wouldn't expect it to work, but it's worth a try.

Ryan Holmes
http://www.ryanholmes.me
vimeo.com/ryanholmes

Return to posts index

Tony Brittan
Re: placing Over Exposed Sky
on Jun 5, 2012 at 3:21:14 am

What about the Roto Brush in AE CS6?

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Jun 5, 2012 at 9:17:55 am

I think that perfect to try a Luma key.
You can also try using the same picture as travel matte luma and applying a garbage matte for the window frame.
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Jun 5, 2012 at 4:20:18 pm

What Rafael says. Mask off the window area, use luma key to generate a matte. Later the matte over the new sky, and the original over the top of that. Very good chance you won't need a roto here, just manipulate opacity and blend modes.

A slightly different tack would be to use your 3-way color corrector on the blown-out white and replace that with chroma blue. Export a reference movie with the blue, then attempt a chromakey with new sky. Use blue screen here not green, as any small problems may not be seen thru the new blue sky.

To sell this shot, you may also have to do a color grading pass and add some blue daylight coming across the shot.

If all else fails, photoshop can be used to rapidly roto this shot using the range select tool and the extract filter tool, particularly, if you automate some of the actions.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]