FORUMS: list search recent posts

I have no idea what the problem is

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David Zietz
I have no idea what the problem is
on Jun 3, 2012 at 3:30:19 am

Raw footage from shoot was 1080p. I found out there was a problem when I exported the footage to mov format for a colleague to apply effects in After Effects. When he put it up on a 1080 workspace, everything was pixellated and looked like crap. We went in and looked at the sequence settings and it says 720x480. We tried messing with the sequence settings, changing them to 1920x1080, but now the footage only occupies a very small space in the canvas. What the heck is going on and what do I need to do to get it into the right format?

David

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: I have no idea what the problem is
on Jun 3, 2012 at 5:22:48 am

Highlight all the footage. Right click and choose "remove attributes". Choose Basic Motion and Distort.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Jun 3, 2012 at 5:32:27 am

Also make sure the sequence settings match the footage codec and frame rate. You might have multiple errors with the timeline.

If you create a new sequence and drag one shot into the timeline, FCP should prompt you to change sequence settings to match the clip settings. Say yes and then copy paste the old sequence into the new one. As Shane says, also remove all motion attributes like size and distort.

Return to posts index

David Zietz
on Jun 3, 2012 at 7:48:43 pm

Thanks for the reply! I just pick one shot and then drop the whole timeline in a new sequence? They used two different cameras, so half of the clips are of different settings. How will that fact impact your suggestion, if at all?

David

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Jun 3, 2012 at 10:04:09 pm

Without knowing what the two cameras were and the two codecs you are dealing with it is hard to offer advice.

Return to posts index

David Zietz
on Jun 3, 2012 at 6:18:19 pm

Thanks for the reply! Basic motion and filters are the only choices available. Everything else is grayed out. Does that matter? Also, how will this impact the work that I've done already?

David

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Jun 3, 2012 at 7:32:15 pm

That's fine that the other options are grey.

And if you did any push ins on footage, or repositioning, it'll get undone when you do this.

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

David Zietz
on Jun 3, 2012 at 7:45:07 pm

Ooh. That's no good. Is there a way to get those back and still have the correct output?

David

Return to posts index

David Zietz
on Jun 8, 2012 at 4:00:28 pm

Something weird that I found. I went and followed with your suggestions, but the output was still stretched on the 1920x1080 workspace.

So I went back and checked the attributes of individual clips and found that they were all 1920x1080 with square pixels and no compression. I decided to check the overall sequence attributes and saw that they're 720x480, with h.264 compression and the pixels are NTSC-ccir 601.

Why? Is this the source of my problem and how can I fix it?

David

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Jun 8, 2012 at 4:26:24 pm

Your SEQUENCE is 720x480 with an H.264 compressor? How the heck did that happen? Yeah, that's a BIG problem.

[David Zietz] " I went back and checked the attributes of individual clips and found that they were all 1920x1080 with square pixels and no compression"

Uh...what? The compressor is "None?" What codec is this footage? It really needs to be an editing codec, like ProRes. If it is NONE, that too is a huge issue.

The sequence settings should be ProRes 1920x1080 in the frame rate of the footage. And the footage should also be ProRes.

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

David Zietz
on Jun 8, 2012 at 9:24:39 pm

Yeah, I looked at the wrong line when I said there was no compression for the individual clips. Individual clips are at h.264 and they're mov files. I have no idea how the sequence ended up like that.

David

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Jun 8, 2012 at 10:23:37 pm

You have a boatload of "wrong" happening here.

Your clips being H.264 is a problem too. FCP doesn't work with H.264 files natively well at all. The issues that crop up are random and unpredictable. All those files should be, need to be converted to ProRes 422. This should have been done before you started editing. And they'll all have to be converted now before you continue.

And then you need to make a new sequence that is 1920x1080 ProRes and use that sequence. There is so much that you need to do to fix this that you might end up recutting the project, replacing that bad footage with good.

If you want to edit h264 native, you need to use FCX or PPro CS6.

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

David Zietz
on Jun 9, 2012 at 1:20:18 am

!

David

Return to posts index

David Zietz
on Jun 14, 2012 at 4:49:41 pm

Hey Shane,

thanks for all of your input and help. I've recompressed to prores422- it took two days, but it's all in the correct format now. I've gone through all the footage and with the exception of two clips, it all looks the same. I was able to fix the color correction on the two clips mentioned, but there's one thing that is weird: The entire movie is several minutes shorter than before. Thoughts?

Thank you sincerely,

David

David

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Jun 14, 2012 at 5:02:49 pm

Watch it. Anything missing?

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

David Zietz
on Jun 14, 2012 at 5:44:20 pm

Not that I've noticed. Does that happen?

David

Return to posts index

David Zietz
on Jun 8, 2012 at 4:04:54 pm

Nevermind, I saw what i was doing wrong. I got it. Thanks guys!

David

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]