FORUMS: list search recent posts

Missing icons

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
brian paterson
Missing icons
on Jun 1, 2012 at 8:28:30 pm

I opened my most recent project in FCP only to be confronted with a message which said 102 render files were missing. This was a surprise as I had not thrown any away although I think I might have accidently pressed eject on an external hard drive which may have contained them but at least they had not been deleted.
I switched off and restarted and thought I could easily reconnect them by going to "reconnect media" and selecting the appropriate files. Well somehow this didn't seem to work so eventually I decided to re-render the parts of the timeline that had turned orange. Whilst this seemed to work, there is still a problem I can't seem to overcome. The thumbnail icons on each clip in the timeline are missing in quite a lot of places and instead there is that red and black icon one sees when something has gone missing, either a render file or a capture file. However there are no missing files and I can go into the folders that contain the files and open them in quicktime and other programmes and I can bring them up in a list to reconnect but when I hit the button to reconnect them the icon still remains red and black even though I think the clips themselves are reconnected. Can anyone think of a reason why the "reconnect media " command is not working as it should and why they appear as if they are missing when they are in fact not. Many Thanks
Brian.

brian paterson

Return to posts index

Joe Barta IV
Re: Missing icons
on Jun 1, 2012 at 9:01:17 pm

This has happened to me all throughout the years of using FCP. I have never found a way to make it regenerate the thumbnails. Sometimes they come back, sometimes they don't.

I'll be watching to see if someone has the answer too.

Bars & Tone
SALUTE!

Return to posts index

brian paterson
on Jun 1, 2012 at 9:32:48 pm

Hi Joe, Many thanks. Can I assume that there is no underlying problems when this happens. I am on my first quest to produce a Blu Ray disc and was worried I might do all of the work and then find dropouts or something where the missing icons are. As long as the missing bits are not a sign of an underlying serious problem then I guess I can live with it.
Many Thanks again. Regards BRIAN.

brian paterson

Return to posts index

brian paterson
on Jun 1, 2012 at 11:31:45 pm

Hi Joe, further to my problem re missing icons I have been working at it for some hours now and eventually restored them. In frustration what I did was drag the folder containing the files that were missing to the trash and then took them back out of the trash & back into the external hard drive where they re-copied themselves back. After removing them to the trash the appropriate sections of the timeline where the clips were turned red saying the media was offline. After they re-copied themselves back to the drive I went to "reconnect media" and this time the timeline above the clips went from red to orange and the clip icons appeared. Then I rendered as usual and bob's your Uncle. So the trick was to take them completely offline by moving them somewhere else temporarily ( or even permanently like another drive) and then re-connecting them from scratch. So I solved the problem and hopefully it will work for others who have experienced this strange happening.
With KInd regards
BRIAN.

brian paterson

Return to posts index

Steve Eisen
on Jun 2, 2012 at 3:54:45 am

Trash your Thumbnail Cache and all will come back.

Steve Eisen
Eisen Video Productions
Vice President
Chicago Creative Pro Users Group

Return to posts index

brian paterson
on Jun 2, 2012 at 10:14:22 am

Thanks Steve,
Great tip. - Even though I fixed the problem ( my way ) yesterday I discovered this morning that the icons once again were missing so tried what you said and it has worked perfectly so far even after a re-start to check. I thought the stuff in the cache folder might have regenerated itself but it has remained empty. Not sure how cahe folder work but all seems good. Many Thanks. BRIAN.

brian paterson

Return to posts index

Pratul gaikwad
on Jun 2, 2012 at 2:36:32 pm

How do you trash thumbnail cache?

Return to posts index

Steve Eisen
on Jun 2, 2012 at 3:30:55 pm

Search thumbnail cache and drag to trash.

Steve Eisen
Eisen Video Productions
Vice President
Chicago Creative Pro Users Group

Return to posts index

Pratul gaikwad
on Jun 2, 2012 at 4:31:38 pm

thanks steve

Return to posts index

Joe Barta IV
on Jun 4, 2012 at 1:57:27 pm

Thanks Steve, for the answer to an age old FCP nuisance.

Joe

Bars & Tone
SALUTE!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]