FORUMS: list search recent posts

Very Choppy Playback - tried several things

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Laraine Anderson
Very Choppy Playback - tried several things
on Jun 1, 2012 at 4:25:09 pm

I realize there has been many posts about this - but none quite answered my question.
I'm editing on a MacBook, FCP 7.0, I'm not positive the camera the footage was shot on - but it's 1080p.
I was editing, fine, then suddenly both the viewer & canvas became unusably choppy & have remain so since. Some things I've tried from your forums:
-converting the audio. I'm editing a music video so I deleted all of the audio & the music file I'm using is aiff
-I've been edited plenty of times now & not had the choppiness.
-the video files are coming from an external hard drive.
-when I first started the project - both the project file & all of the render files, scratch disks etc. went to an external drive (because the project is big) - but now I "saved as" into my laptop's drive & changed the settings so that everything goes to the laptop instead. - I'm thinking in general this is where my problem lies, but I can't figure it out & the project is UNBELIEVABLE choppy. The audio works fine; isn't choppy, but the video is ridiculous - help aapreciated - thanks!

Return to posts index

Laraine Anderson
Re: Very Choppy Playback - tried several things
on Jun 1, 2012 at 4:28:17 pm

One more thing I'd like to add - I have an idea, if I've messed up this project with the moving around...
If I export what I've got so far & then started a new project with the edited video footage - what settings would I use for no loss of quality? - just an idea - thanks

Return to posts index

Joseph Hung
on Jun 1, 2012 at 4:43:00 pm

You are having bandwidth problems most likely. Don't use your laptop HDD as your FCP media folder. Keep everything (capture scratch, renders, etc.) on the external drive, your project file on your laptop. Connect external drive via FW800 at the least, eSATA would be better, or Thunderbolt if you have it on your laptop. It also depends on the codec you are editing with. You can always edit with an offline codec, and then online when you lock the edit.

Return to posts index

Pratul gaikwad
on Jun 2, 2012 at 2:53:10 pm

joseph,
I dont understand why keeping media and render files on internal drives is not recommended.
since thats the place which will provide max. speed, isnt it?
if project is not big then why not on internal drives?

Return to posts index

Joseph Hung
on Jun 2, 2012 at 3:35:35 pm

Hey Pratul, there are many many posts about this topic in the Cow. Basically, your media and render files are read/write intensive, and it is common knowledge in FCP that those files be kept on an external drive so it doesn't overburden your startup disk that controls your OS and applications. Keeping your project file on your startup disk is fine. Depending on your computer, codec, external drive setup (RAID?), and connection options, in most low level cases you shouldn't have any playback problems. When you get into hi res pro codecs, full HD, complicated timelines/graphics, etc, you need higher I/O speeds.

http://www.tulpapictures.com
Twitter: @tulpapictures
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/tulpapictures

Mac 2.66 GHz Quad Intel Xeon
OSX 10.6.8
FCS2
CS5.5
8GB RAM
ProAvio 8TB RAID 5 Dual Mini-SAS
Blackmagic Intensity Pro
ATI Radeon X1900
RocketRAID 4322 via dual MiniSAS