FORUMS: list search recent posts

cross dissolve stutters in play back

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Glen Jennings
cross dissolve stutters in play back
on May 31, 2012 at 7:37:46 pm

when i render cross dissolves and play back it stutters. Any particular setting I need to set? I have gone through some system playback setting and can't get it to play back smoothly.

Final Cut 5 with 1920x1080 footage h264 frm a Canon DSLR.

Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks

Return to posts index

Everest Mokaeff
Re: cross dissolve stutters in play back
on May 31, 2012 at 7:52:35 pm

First of all forget about editing .h264 in FCP. Secondly, ain't FCP 5 too antique for this kind of job? I don't even remember what codec I'd used back then. Anyways convert your dslr footage into editable format i.e ProRes.

Production and Postproduction in Moscow
http://www.mokaeff.com

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on May 31, 2012 at 8:01:36 pm

They can't use ProRes. ProRes came about in FCP 6. The best option for them is DVCPRO HD. Unless they have the drive speed for Uncompressed HD, but I doubt it.

The issue is that yes, that is a VERY old version of FCP...and the camera format is pretty new. So there will be compatibility issues. Even the later versions of FCP, including FCX, don't edit native H.264 well at all. All sorts of issues. So converting it to an editing format is what we do. FCP 6, 7 and X have ProRes...which is full raster 1920x1080 like the source format. FCP 5 has Uncompressed, which is full raster, but requires a VERY fast RAID connected via SAS or Fibre to work. The other option is DVCPRO HD...which isn't full raster. At 1080 it is VERY THIN raster. 1280x1080. So you are losing a lot of resolution when you edit.

FCP 5 and this footage are not a good match.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Glen Jennings
on May 31, 2012 at 8:09:56 pm

Thanks for the input. Also I realize that I am on Final Cut Pro 6 and not 5.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on May 31, 2012 at 8:13:28 pm

WOOT! Convert to ProRes. Download the EOS Log and Transfer plugin and use Log and Transfer, or use Compressor or MPEG STREAMCLIP.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]