FORUMS: list search recent posts

Feature Film final cut labeling system

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Alex Olinger
Feature Film final cut labeling system
on May 30, 2012 at 5:47:46 pm

Hi,

I am the assistant editor for an indie feature starting principal in the next few weeks. I`ve almost completed bin structure preparation for the project in Final Cut 7. Each scene has its own bin to store footage, sequences are created for each scene for cutting rough assembles, and reel sequences ready to go.

In each scene`s bin, I had been thinking to break down the footage by its respective shot type (master, OTS, Single, two-shot, insert/cutaways) and so on.

In your guys experience is this the best way to organize shots within a scene bin, or is there another naming scheme that you use when organizing a narrative feature? My assistant editor experience is primarily on documentaries, where the naming schemes tended to be a bit different, due to not having a definite script.

The film is mostly dialogue driven and the boards look like it will be shot pretty traditionally, so I was thinking that this shot type labeling system would work nicely.

Thanks in advance for any insight.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Feature Film final cut labeling system
on May 30, 2012 at 6:49:52 pm

[Alex Olinger] " sequences are created for each scene for cutting rough assembles"

Why? That's a LOT of sequences. Use one sequence. No reason to use many sequences. That's just one way you can get yourself in trouble...if you accidentally have one or two scenes with the wrong settings. Plus, it's just messy. No need for multiple sequences. I've never seen this done. REELS, yes, but since we rarely do that anymore, it's rare. But if you want multiple sequences, that's how I'd break it up.

[Alex Olinger] "is there another naming scheme that you use when organizing a narrative feature?"

In the scene bins I name shots by their slate. 1/1, 1/2...as in "Scene 1-take 1" and "scene 2 take 2." Then there's other setups, so 1A/1, 1B/1 and so on. If you want to get specific, if the editor wants this...you can add "1/1 Master wide," or "1A/2, CU" But typically I just go by shot name. And I might have the bin in ICON view, so you can see the framing of the shot.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Alex Olinger
on May 30, 2012 at 8:59:25 pm

Alright. As I`m going to be doing roughs as they`re shooting, I`ll go with your suggestion to break the sequences into reels. It is much less cumbersome than making a ton of sequences for each scene/groups of scenes.

For the naming schemes, I`ll go with the 1A/1, 1B/2, and so on.

Reading over the script right now, and it looks like the writer has a few scene number heading that include letters, such as 4B, 4C, 4D. Etc.

I`m thinking how I would factor those into the naming schemes. The vast majority of scripts I`ve seen just go 1, 2, 3, 4... for the headings. No letters.

I`ll probably just ask them to refrain from using letters in scene headings. As the letter prefix has no purpose in the script, as far as I can see. The heading that do have letter headings do not even flow together.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on May 30, 2012 at 10:27:00 pm

Ugh...the writer needs to take a script-writing class. You never number scenes as 4B, 4C. I'm not a writer and I know that. You number them A4, B4...so that you can have takes like "A4B/1." Yup, I've seen that.

And you need to label the shots as they are SLATED. Don't go by the script, go by the slates. God...I hope they slate...

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Alex Olinger
on Jun 17, 2012 at 5:54:37 pm

Thanks for the advice. About a week in the shoot, has been somewhat smooth...

At least the slate guys are being smart and writing scene 146C, as C146 on the slate, so I can keep track of things better. Though for some reason is still labeled as 146C on the script and call sheets.... Not good.

I`m going to have to bug the scripty about how he is going to slate the partial scene days. Make sure when they start the scene pickup, they go from the proper set up letter.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]