FORUMS: list search recent posts

Why is Compressor freezing when compressing?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Fiona Ashe
Why is Compressor freezing when compressing?
on May 29, 2012 at 6:51:31 pm

Hi,

I would really appreciate help with this problem. Compressor has recently started freezing / getting stuck when compressing. This happened on one previous occasion and was resolved by using Compressor Repair 1.1.3. I've tried this but, on this occasion, the problem is not solved. I'm using Compressor 3.0.5 on a MacBook Pro OSX 10.5.8. When Compressor froze today, I was compressing a 3GB QT movie using the H.264 codec.

I would appreciate any and all advice please.

Many thanks,
Fiona.

Return to posts index

Ryan Holmes
Re: Why is Compressor freezing when compressing?
on May 29, 2012 at 8:53:31 pm

Can you give us more information?

What codec is the QT movie in? How long is it? When is it freezing (10% in, 20% in, 50%)? Is the QT movie a reference file or self-contained? Or is the job sent from FCP to Compressor?

Have you tried breaking up the file that you're trying to encode to see if you can do smaller sections? Do you have read/write permissions to the disk where the QT file exists? Do you have read/write permissions to where the file is exporting to? Have you repaired permissions (use Disk Utility)?

Sorry for the thousand questions. Just trying to help you get the info out there so people on here can help. We can't see your screen so we only know what you tell us. The more info usual the better! ;-)

Ryan Holmes
http://www.ryanholmes.me
vimeo.com/ryanholmes

Return to posts index

Fiona Ashe
on May 30, 2012 at 5:00:28 pm

Hi Ryan,

Thanks for responding so quickly and thoroughly.

I exported the file as a Quicktime movie (not using QT conversion). I chose Current Settings. It was shot in 1920x1080, audio 48kHz. I didn't change the codec when exporting. The movie is 18 minutes long. At about 30% of the job, the progress bar stops moving to the right. It's still shimmering as it it's working, however the compression never progresses beyond this point.

The movie is not self-contained (it's a reference file). The reason I tried it this way is because in recent years, whenever I sent a job to Compressor from FCP, it always froze (Problem A). However, I was able to get around the problem by exporting as a QT movie and then importing that file into Compressor. Now that's stopped working as well (Problem B). I used Compressor Repair to resolve Problem B in the past, but it hasn't worked this time.

I have read/write permissions to the disk where the QT file exists & where the file is exporting to - it's the same external drive for both.

I will try with smaller sections as you suggest to see if that makes any difference. I will also test a self contained movie vs a reference file.

What does repairing permissions do?

Thanks a million for all of your help thus far.

Best wishes,
Fiona.

Return to posts index

Bobby Recigliano
on May 30, 2012 at 5:14:28 pm

Have you tried creating a cluster through Apple Qmaster and simply decreasing your "Number of instances"? I always encode through my cluster and fluctuate the instances depending on the work-flow.

http://www.digitalrebellion.com/blog/posts/using_compressor_with_multiple_c...

Return to posts index

Ryan Holmes
on May 31, 2012 at 2:31:34 am

What is the original format - 1920x1080 is simply a resolution. What is the codec? h.264, XDCAM, HDV, etc.

Also, what happens on your timeline around 30% in? What clips are there? Heavy color correction? Multiple tracks of video (i.e. compositing)? What if you remove some of the clips in that area - does it still fail or fail later? If you break up your timeline into 2 or 3 smaller timelines do those export out? All your trying to do now is figure out what's hanging up the export. Maybe it's a plugin that you applied to clip that appears about 30% into your timeline. Maybe it's a corrupt clip.

Have you tried creating new timeline (make sure your sequence settings are correct) and copy/paste the old timeline into the new timeline (don't nest it, use copy and paste)? Have you tried trashing your FCP preferences?

My general workflow is to generate self-contained QT movie. From there I can make my various versions using Compressor, QT Pro, Sorenson Squeeze, Telestream Episode, etc. I like having a final version that isn't tied to any other files in case people move/delete/rename those files which the QT movie is tied to. Just my personal comfort level. Ultimately, you just need to get this thing out of FCP somehow.

Report back with your findings...maybe the Cow community will be able to help you...

Ryan Holmes
http://www.ryanholmes.me
vimeo.com/ryanholmes

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]