FORUMS: list search recent posts

Export *OFFLINE* EDL from *ONLINE* Edit

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nikos Papadopoulos
Export *OFFLINE* EDL from *ONLINE* Edit
on May 29, 2012 at 10:55:11 am

Hello all. I need your help with this:

I have 3TB of Prores footage that I have been editing online in native resolution. After several months of editing I cut down the project to 2 hours and decided to collaborate with another editor.

A) Can I export an offline version (dv resolution) so that he can work on the project and then take an EDL and import it to my online workstation to finalise the edit?

B) Is there any other method of sending out a lower resolution material and as soon as the edit is done bring it back to my workstation and incorporate the edit to native resolution?

p.s I live in a different country than the editor and I am afraid of misuse of the material.

Return to posts index

jon smitherton
Re: Export *OFFLINE* EDL from *ONLINE* Edit
on May 29, 2012 at 1:43:05 pm

Hi,

You can Media Manage the sequence with handles and see what size it is to send to them on a drive.
1 Hr Prores HQ HD video is 224 GB so with say 4 sec handles it maybe 100 GB or so more.
I would try and keep in the same size and codec as you plan to deliver - ie Prores HQ etc.

The reason I wouldn't try is that when you media manage with handles FCP7 has a problem relinking to the original source footage. (The dreaded 'Sequence/Clip Media Start - End changed')
Compressing to another codec may compound this issue.
(I haven't tried - but I assume you would first MM to your original codec with handles...then media manage that to Prores LT without handles)

If I was going to recompress to another codec I'd choose Prores LT then you wouldn't get field order issues or different frames sizes which is a pain to change with zooms etc. It took me 4 days changing a 52 min doc which was edited in the wrong frame size with the wrong field order!

When you MM, manage it to another drive (and check everything is there by unmounting your original drive) - then always work off that drive - so FCP doesn't get confused (or you when relinking) between the original clip and the MM clip. Duplicate that media onto another drive and send it to him. Then you can send each other project files with updates of your cuts.

If you need to send the whole project, I'd just MM (copy) the project to another drive (just in case there are stray files) after cutting out reels/shots you don't need.
Hard Drives are cheap 2 x 2 TB drives will only cost you 200 bucks or so. It will save a lot of headaches in the long run.

Jon.

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
Re: Export *OFFLINE* EDL from *ONLINE* Edit
on May 30, 2012 at 12:01:38 am

Media Manage and stay with the same frame size and frame rate. Do not use DV as it is a nightmare.

ProRes LT or Proxy are your best choice. Don't need an EDL just open their project and relink to the original ProRes media. Do not change any file names when making the proxy or LT files and tell the editor at the other end to leave file names exactly the same.

Copy and paste their material from their timeline to yours after relinking.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]