FORUMS: list search recent posts

Export issues from FCP - progressive material turns out interlaced

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Lars Kristian Flemmen
Export issues from FCP - progressive material turns out interlaced
on May 28, 2012 at 4:10:56 pm

I've been looking around but haven't found the answer to this exact question.
I shot some material with my 7D in 25p, used MPEG Streamclip to convert it to prores 422, dropped it into a FCP timeline, which asks me if I want it to set up the timeline to match the material. I click yes and everything seems ok!

Now, I've edited the stuff, exported some, took it into after effects, exported it, took i back into FCP.
Finished up and exported a master. The master now has areas that show interlacing, exclusively in transitions between clips. All other parts show now interlacing, not even in fast motion parts.

This is what I have done:
1. I noticed the timeline has its aspect ratio set to 1440x1080 HDTVi, which is what FCP itself set it up to.
I tried changing it, but it won't let me - and anyways; what do I change it to?

2. Putting a deinterlacer on the entire thing removes the problem, but degrades image quality badly.

3. I checked all the clips and noticed they were set to "upper fields", I changed that to "none" in all clips and in sequence settings - exported, same issue.

4. I checked the export that I brought into AE earlier in the workflow, same issue.

5. Same issue with the file coming out of AE.

6. I tried exporting it using the preset 422 25p, the idea being to force FCP to think of it as progressive, made no difference.

7. All files both from AE and FCP were exported as progressive material, not checking any interlace boxes.

I am running out of ideas, any solutions out there?
Thanks guys!

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
Re: Export issues from FCP - progressive material turns out interlaced
on May 29, 2012 at 12:09:51 am

Don't know what you're seeing, but FCP 7 doesn't even have the capability to add interlaced pulldown, and it's definitely not capable of creating interlacing out of thin air. If you didn't shoot interlaced, which the 7D is incapable of, then FCP can't add interlacing. You are working in an interlaced timeline, so any graphics, effects, pushes, moves, etc are going to be interlaced.

You mentioned AE. If you perhaps put your 25p into a 30i timeline, and didn't pay attention to your render que settings at all, then it's possible you created some sort of mutant pulldown to bump it from 25p to 30i.

Need to know exactly what settings you're using in every step of the process. Not the settings you think you're using, but the ones reported by QT or the App.

Return to posts index

Lars Kristian Flemmen
Re: Export issues from FCP - progressive material turns out interlaced
on Dec 13, 2012 at 9:21:55 pm

Old thread, returning issue.
When I dropped material encoded i streamclip into fcp, it opted me to change the seq settings to match the material. I said, yes, everything was good, added a few transitions, exported ---- interlaced.
Grown a bit wiser since last time and for anyone wondering, this seems to be the solution:

Sequence settings -----

1920 x 1080 HDTV 1080i (last one can't be changed to anything reasonable, why? Don't know)

Square pixels

Field dominance: NONE (this solved it for me, it used to be set to upper by FCP, why? Don't know)

Compressor (prores 422 in my case)

------

Exported using current settings, all is good.

LKF

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]